Question about tooth movement after molds for retainer made.

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

beachbum

Question about tooth movement after molds for retainer made.

#1 Post by beachbum »

I will be getting my braces off in about 3 weeks.
At my last appointment (a week and a half ago) my ortho took molds of my teeth and then put back in the finishing wire and added power chains on both upper and lower teeth.
Since then my teeth have moved more. Actually, I think they are in a better position now than when I had the molds made.
I think I am getting hawley retainers. Will they be able to adjust to all the movement I've had this month or should I see about getting new molds and a new retainer made?

beachbum

#2 Post by beachbum »

Hi Ken :)

I like my teeth better now then when the molds were taken so I hope the retainer can be adjusted.

Zeppguy73

#3 Post by Zeppguy73 »

The wires used on Hawley retainers can usually be adjusted to help shift teeth if needed.

Andromeda

#4 Post by Andromeda »

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I have always wondered about this. Many orthos will take the molds a few weeks ahead of time and then continue to make adjustments, but that makes no sense to me because it seems like the retainers would move your teeth back to the less desirable position... It makes sense that the retainers can be adjusted for movement and therefore could put the teeth the way you want them but it just sort of doesn't make sense why they would do it this way.

I am lucky enough that my ortho's office makes their retainers in-house, so I get my braces off, molds taken, retainers made, and retainers given to me all in the same day. I think its pretty common the way yours does it tho, so there's got to be a way they get the retainers to fit your final results. I'm sure if it was an issue, they wouldn't do it this way because people would complain.

Definitely let us know what happens though because I have been curious about that myself. Good luck with getting the braces off, it's coming up so soon! Congrats :)

beachbum

#5 Post by beachbum »

Thanks, guys. Image