Anyone get your braces off early?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tjones1127

Anyone get your braces off early?

#1 Post by tjones1127 »

I have had my braces for a year. They have been straight since August, so for the past seven months. I am miserable!!!! and really want them off. My ortho wanted me to have teeth extracted...which I said no to and then she suggested jaw surgery...which I also said no to. My teeth are straight, and I really don't care if my bite is alligned. Anyway, she wants to leave them on for probably at least 6 months, if not longer. She said even with permanent retainers, they have a chance of moving. I got a second opinion and he said they could come off now and would be fine with a retainer. Anyone have a similar situation and did your teeth move

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I didn't have a simular situation however my braces did come off about 4-6 months earlier then expected.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

kirjax

#3 Post by kirjax »

Well for me kinda and kind of not. I was told 20-24 months and I got them off at 21 months but I really thought they'd be on alot longer. I just made sure to do everythin i was they asked me to do.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

LN

#4 Post by LN »

I was told I would need to wear braces for 18 to 24 months. Braces on the top teeth came off after 11months and the bottoms are coming off next week, which will be one year!!! I am soooo happy! Have to wear the retainer for 24/7 for one year!!! Oh well...better than braces :D

PfectPitch

#5 Post by PfectPitch »

My estimated time was 27 months and I'm done after 25. Ortho says it's because I wore my elastics as prescribed. Now I'm glad I did!

Delag

Re: Anyone get your braces off early?

#6 Post by Delag »

tjones1127 wrote: My teeth are straight, and I really don't care if my bite is alligned.
You may care later if it gives you trouble. I have a lot of pain in my jaw from having a poorly alligned bite for years. I have had braces and surgery to stop things from getting worse, but the damage can not be undone. At 40 I can't eat anythng too hard, like crusty bread, or too chewy like steak.

Another thing to consider is if your bite is off, you will probably have a harder time keeping those teeth straight in the years to come.

I understand what it is like to want to rip those suckers off NOW. (My treatment was 1 1/2 years longer than expected. ) Just make sure you don't waste your time in bondage by getting them taken off too soon.

kirjax

#7 Post by kirjax »

Well my bite is not 100% and they told me that before I even got braces that the likelihood of having it corrected like it should would probably not happen....but they did a good job gettin it to where it should be for the most part (without surgery). So I'm happy with my outcome.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

dblaney

Re: Anyone get your braces off early?

#8 Post by dblaney »

tjones1127 wrote:I have had my braces for a year. They have been straight since August, so for the past seven months. I am miserable!!!! and really want them off. My ortho wanted me to have teeth extracted...which I said no to and then she suggested jaw surgery...which I also said no to. My teeth are straight, and I really don't care if my bite is alligned. Anyway, she wants to leave them on for probably at least 6 months, if not longer. She said even with permanent retainers, they have a chance of moving. I got a second opinion and he said they could come off now and would be fine with a retainer. Anyone have a similar situation and did your teeth move
Take it from someone who had them removed shorter than they originall said and is now wearing them again only 2 years later. Let them finish what they're doing. Its worth it.

lfwood

#9 Post by lfwood »

20 years after I was debanded at the age of 13, I now am wearing braces again. After 12 months I will have corrective lower jaw surgery (to bring my jaw forward) to obtain long term stability to my teeth.

They have moved considerably and not only am I not happy about how they look, I am wearing the enamel unevenly and prematurely because of my bite. I wish I had've had the option of surgery 20 years ago and I wouldn't now be in my 30's with braces.

micachica

#10 Post by micachica »

I'm having my lowers taken off a year earlier than expected but in a negative, not finished sorta way. My bottom front roots are too short to continue treatment and I experienced root resorption.