2 Sets Of Retainer's Anyone ? Set Of Essix / Set Of Hawleys

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bluerain

2 Sets Of Retainer's Anyone ? Set Of Essix / Set Of Hawleys

#1 Post by Bluerain »

My braces are going to be removed next month so I asked what type of retainer's they use.

I was told I'm getting 2 sets ..one set of essix and one set of hawleys.

They do it this way so in case something happens to one we will have a backup set.

Anyone else get 2 sets ?

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations
Top Wired 2-1-05 / Bottom 10-9-06
Implants being used as anchor's where the wisdom teeth use to be.

Bluerain

#2 Post by Bluerain »

In case anyone isn't aware there are 2 diffrent types of essix retainers.

You have the regular set and the other type which looks the same but it's for people who grind their teeth and is made stronger .

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations

jess214

#3 Post by jess214 »

I just got debanded 3 days ago and was given a thinner set of Essix retainers, but I'm supposed to get a thicker set in a month. So yes, I have two sets, except of the same kind.
braced w/ ceramic brackets & wire ligs - 28th Nov, 06
debanded! + Essix retainers - 5th Nov, 08

Bluerain

#4 Post by Bluerain »

jess214 wrote:I just got debanded 3 days ago and was given a thinner set of Essix retainers, but I'm supposed to get a thicker set in a month. So yes, I have two sets, except of the same kind.
Hi Jess214

Thanks for replying :)

Congrats on having your braces removed :)

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations

retainerjoe

#5 Post by retainerjoe »

positioner to sleep in that fits over the top of my bonded retainers, an removable upper an lower hawleys for day wear , still have a bit over two years to wear the hawleys , i was told being i had such a long treatment an tmj probs full 24/7 retainer wear was needed
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

I have both essix and hawley. I like my hawley upper and my essix lower at night for the most comfort. The essix does not last as long though and I've been through a few because of them cracking. I think the hawley will last 10 years or longer while the essix a year or two. My ortho warned me of that.

The only problem I see with having both is if the ortho "tweaks" the hawley to make any adjustments to your teeth. If you go back to the essix mold, you would see any adjustment progress.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Bluerain

#7 Post by Bluerain »

Chris wrote:
The only problem I see with having both is if the ortho "tweaks" the hawley to make any adjustments to your teeth. If you go back to the essix mold, you would see any adjustment progress.
I didn't think of this. Hopefully I won't need any tweaking but
good info and something to think about.

:)

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: 2 Sets Of Retainer's Anyone ? Set Of Essix / Set Of Hawl

#8 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

As far as I know nope and my ortho checked for me really fast, but I haven't gone for a legit cleaning so idk.
Jenn Medeiros

retainerjoe

#9 Post by retainerjoe »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:As far as I know nope and my ortho checked for me really fast, but I haven't gone for a legit cleaning so idk.
yep looks like the ole OVERJET club is still around , still wearing bonded retainers , with hawley's over the bonded, told i'll be doing it for life , i'm ok with it :HugeGrin: just no more wires and brackets please
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

BracedSurgeryStudent

#10 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Hey retainerjoe glad to see you're still around too :) I got my braces off last month but I was kind of waiting to get my before pictures from my orthodontist for comparison, but I figured I could share this one :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jenn Medeiros

retainerjoe

#11 Post by retainerjoe »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:Hey retainerjoe glad to see you're still around too :) I got my braces off last month but I was kind of waiting to get my before pictures from my orthodontist for comparison, but I figured I could share this one :)
:jump: things look great , doesn't it fell nice to have them off :HugeGrin: did you get both bonded and removable hawleys

BracedSurgeryStudent

#12 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

it feels awesome.
Jenn Medeiros

retainerjoe

#13 Post by retainerjoe »

:tingrin: a big congrats to you , no more tingrin :crazy: enjoy that smile and stright teeth