Question about retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kirjax

Question about retainers

#1 Post by kirjax »

okay so I was told at my next appointment they would give me impressions for my retainers....

2 questions.

One: Do they do the impressions exactly like they did before you got braces? Because they do it while still braced what can I expect? I just remember it sticking alot lol.

Two: When you guys got your impressions how long after did they remove your braces? I was told that at my next appt they would let me know but I'm a bit anxious as to if it's 1,2,3 months etc?

Thanks!

old smile and bite

new smile and bite

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

KARESS

#2 Post by KARESS »

One: Do they do the impressions exactly like they did before you got braces? Because they do it while still braced what can I expect? I just remember it sticking alot lol.

I dunno, haven't had it done but I think so.

Two: When you guys got your impressions how long after did they remove your braces? I was told that at my next appt they would let me know but I'm a bit anxious as to if it's 1,2,3 months etc

When I get my impressions done then I will have to wait a week to get my braces off & pick up my retainer.

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

kirjax

#3 Post by kirjax »

really a week?

wow.

I have a feeling they're going to push it all back when I go. I just don't feel done yet. Thanks.

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

KARESS

#4 Post by KARESS »

most people that i know make impressions and get their braces off the same day.

I thought it was weird that I had to wait a week AFTER impressions.

but i think its that way because the orthodontist has to send off to get my retainers & he doesnt want my teeth to shift between the time.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I had impressions taken immediately after the braces came off and picked up retainers a week later. There had been a little movement in that time, but nothing the retainers couldn't address.

Kirjax, your teeth look great.

kirjax

#6 Post by kirjax »

It just seemed the way they addressed it was that I was getting impressions but not taken them off. My regular ortho wasn't in thats why I feel as though when I come back she's going to have something different to say about it.

I didn't like how my last appt went. Not having my own ortho there sort of screws things up....but he basically was like, "schedule impressions she's almost done" when that appt I was supposed to have a bracket removed and repositioned (which never happened) *shrugs*

I guess on Dec 15th I'll have some answers.

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009

married2abuckeye

#7 Post by married2abuckeye »

Here's what happened for me:

At my 2nd to last adjustment/appointment, they took impressions of my teeth with the braces still on (yes, there was icky pink stuff stuck in every nook and cranny of my braces!). After that, I had my potential debanding date set for 5 or 6 weeks later.

When I showed up for d-day (BTW, that was just this past Tuesday!), there at my station were the moulds they'd created of my teeth, braces and all. From what I understand one of the reasons they do this is to create the bonded retainers you may be getting on the top and/or bottom. After checking my teeth and discussing it with me, my Ortho decided we would go ahead and remove the braces (YAY!!), so after they were off, the glue polished and my the bumps of my incisors ground (or IPR'd or whatever it's called) to form a straighter line, they took another set of impressions. This was for my Essix retainer. I then had a permanent retainer bonded to my bottom incisors, but had to wait a couple of days for the Essix to arrive from the lab.

So...to actually answer your questions:
1) Yes, they do impressions the same nasty way with braces as without, and it will be messy.

2) For me it was just the regular interval I would normally have between adjustments (~6 weeks).

Hope that helps you!

P.S. Your teeth look great!
Follow my metal-mouthed journey here

BoSox2008

#8 Post by BoSox2008 »

They take impressions exactly the same way, except they take the wire out. It sticks a teeny bit, but not like you would think.

I had to get my impressions and waited about 2.5 weeks until I got my braces off. The impressions were sent to a lab where they made my Essix retainer, they wanted to have it ready for the day I got them off.

Good luck! You're almost there - I would say 3 weeks, tops, until you have them off :)

KARESS

#9 Post by KARESS »

Okay now I know what happens.

On the 7th I went and got the back braces & the lil rings that are on the back teeth (forgot the name) off.

They took the wire out and tooth the impressions with the brackets still on.
It stuck to my teeth really bad lol.. i guess because of the brackets.

Anyway a week later I am going to get the rest of the brackets off (they left the first 6 on the top and bottom so that my teeth wont move) & by then my retainers will be there.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

kirjax

#10 Post by kirjax »

I went yesterday. They took an xray of my smile....I addressed my few concerns (to which I found out the reason why they can't be 100% corrected), I also learned I now have a new ortho (my old one apparently married and moved) and he determined that he agreed though with her and that I'm ready for impressions.

So I'm scheduled for 1/26 to have my impressions (with braces on) then and was told if all goes well will have them removed a few weeks later when retainers come in.

So it looks like I got myself an early release like I always hoped for!!!

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009

WiredforSound

#11 Post by WiredforSound »

Yes, they do the impressions the same way as they did them before.

For me, I am getting my impressions done (with braces on) on January 13, then going back a week later to get my braces off and bonded retainers put in and then going back a week after that to pick up my nighttime retainer.

So I am sure it won't take long for you either!

Your teeth look wonderful!!
[/url]

kirjax

#12 Post by kirjax »

thanks!

yes from the looks of it I guess my braces will be removed (if all goes well) a week or two after the impressions. I didn't really ask all I said was, "after impressions do the braces come off soon after" and she said, "yes."

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009