Got my braces off, now my teeth hurt!!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

*melissa*

Got my braces off, now my teeth hurt!!!

#1 Post by *melissa* »

It's a long story, but basically, I just had my braces removed about 3 days ago after 7 months of treatment (I will be getting re-braced again in about 4-6 weeks) and my teeth really hurt. It's not the type of pain that is associated with braces... it's like a tingling/stinging feeling in every tooth. As if the nerves hurt. The only reason I can think of for the pain is when I got my braces off, it was a very, very painful experience for me. When each bracket was clipped/popped off, it felt as if that tooth was being pulled out. Then there was the whole scraping & polishing the glue off process...*shudder* that hurt soo much.

But the thing is, after it was over with, my teeth didn't hurt. They just started hurting last night. I popped in my retainers and the pain slowly subsided. But today, my teeth have been hurting all day and all night, even with retainers in. So my question is, is this normal? Has anyone else gone through this after being de-braced? Will the pain go away ever? Could the pain be cause by the process of taking the braces off and if so, why did it take almost 2 days to finally hit me?

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

I think it's pretty normal. Your teeth have not settled yet.I have had my archwire removed several times and it was left off. My teeth HURT ,I felt the pain down to my nerves. The scraping polishing ,did hurt too! :(
The day you get your braces off ,your teeth will have been held in that position and your roots are pretty much all aligned by then.Clipping the brackets off will not hurt by the end of your treatment. Your teeth right now are wonky. I was terrified at the thought of getting my molar bands off because the first time my ortho took the bands off.It was extremely painful enough for tears to roll down my cheeks.My molars were still a bit wobbly and it felt like he was ripping out my tooth!
This time was totally different and I didnt feel any pain from removing the brackets at all. The only pain I felt was the sanding!!! geeze that hurt but it was over quick thank God! I did have some soreness the next day after my braces were off but that went away in like 2-3 days.

Gennel