How do I get my teeth smooth again?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

reba678

How do I get my teeth smooth again?

#1 Post by reba678 »

I had my braces taken off about a week and a half ago (yay!) and am wearing the Essex retainer on top (waiting for the bottom retainer to come in) but my teeth feel rough, like there is still some residue from the cement/glue from the braces. Someone said to go and see my dentist, they can get it off, but I JUST had my teeth cleaned a month ago, and I really can't afford to drop another $110 to get them re-cleaned.

I have an Oral B electric toothbrush, and I am constantly brushing, I just tried to use the dental pik I have and it's still not working.

Is there anything I can do myself?

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Rebecca, I know what you mean. My teeth felt less than smooth when I got my braces off a couple months ago. But they feel better now. I don't know why, maybe they smooth out on their own a little just from eating and brushing ??

I figured I would just wait till my next cleaning and ask my dentist.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

When i was a kid and had my cross bite buttons removed the ortho just let the glue on to the teeth. Some dentist later on were asking what is this crap on your teeth... Well, i guess the ortho expected a general dentist to remove them, which never happened though. The glue disappered by itself, but it took a long time. But that was in 80's :D

peterworn

Re:The Naked Tooth (Retainers and Life After Braces)

#4 Post by peterworn »

hi,

If u want to smooth your teeth , you must have to visit your dentist and take a good treatment for them.

UGHBRACES

#5 Post by UGHBRACES »

It should wear off in due time with normal brushing. When my molar bands were put on, there was some residue from the glue(or whatever it is) left on the chew side of those teeth, and it is gradually coming off.