Just got them Off! Now paranoid to see all the retainer prob

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

Just got them Off! Now paranoid to see all the retainer prob

#1 Post by Gennel »

I have never even peeked in this forum because I didnt want to get more desperate about getting debanded! Well yesterday I got my braces off and I am beyond thrilled of course! I came in here today to see the topics and I notice so many people having their teeth shift even with retainers! aaack!! that freaks me out! My ortho didnt say I had to wear them 24/7 he said to wear them throughout the night and leave them at home during the day. I planned to wear them more than that. He's just afraid that I get them lost. Since he says most people lose their retainers when they go out and remove them to eat...

Ihave the Essix retainers and was a little sore from taking them off this morning! But the pain was only for a minute .I guess that my nightmare is to wake up with crooked teeth again :( I know this won't happen overnight! I've read that some people that had high canines have noticed their canines going back up? How does this happen I wonder???
I mean I had 2 canines that were high,it took like 4 months to bring them down and for another 2 yrs were kept in position with a thicker wire and powerchains that I used for the last year.
How could a canine's root push itself deep up again through bone and all?? Just wondering how this happens or is this for people who had Impacted canines? That was not my case. I plan to wear my retainers whenever I'm home and after I brush my teeth after dinner ,until the morning. I don't grind my teeth,thank God. I did clench but have noticed that I am not clenching during the night. I guess if the retainers last me for at least 2 yrs that I will ask for Hawley retainers. Those seem to last much longer.

Gennel

alimommy1

#2 Post by alimommy1 »

Congratulations, you look great!! It was too bad I did not have this resource to share my journey (and get advice) when I had my braces, mine were off in 97. I think retention is always a problem, even my ortho said they have people return because of shifting, and sometimes it ISN'T even because they don't wear retainers, some people just have shifty teeth. It might depend on how bad they were before braces - mine were terrible, supposedly a class I but bad crowding. I had high canines too, and my laterals were pretty much stuck behind my centrals. The only shifting problem I have had are the laterals and I figure that has to do with their original position

I think there was some reason I couldn't get a bonded lingual upper, because I asked and it wasn't possible but I don't remember why. It might not have been stable or the chances of it failing or breaking was not worth trying. I've had this particular retainer for years now... 10 years? LOL! I don't wear it 24/7 though, and if anything happens or if I am able to get another consult, I can easily get it replaced, remade, etc.

Gennel

#3 Post by Gennel »

alimommy1 : Look at my before picture of my upper arch. I also had my laterals behind my two front teeth. I will continue to wear my retainers close to 24/7 for at least 6 months. After that I will wear them at least 12 hrs a day at night. For some reason I think my top teeth will do much better retaining their position. My bottom teeth is another problem! I feel my lower 3 incisors a bit loose,not too bad but I can tell it can shift easily . So I might wear my bottom retainers way longer during the day for life. If I go to my ortho again in the future for a new Essix retainer, they charge $75 for upper and $75 for lowers so $150 is not terribly high, I may not need both replaced soooo keeping my fingers crossed that Ican keep these retainers for at least 2-3 yrs! lol

Before:

After:

I need to take pics of my lower arch...they were such a mess!

Gennel

alimommy1

#4 Post by alimommy1 »

I have a bonded on the lowers and it seems to have lasted a long time. Eventually I might have to get a removable if it ever breaks because apparently the bondeds are not supposed to stay on your teeth for 20 years.. but who knows?

Mine looked very similar to yours, in fact a little bit worse. I like the gold braces too, mine were the regular silver ones. The cost to replace a retainer really isn't bad in the scheme of things. I don't know if my ins covers a portion of anything like that, only up to 50% or a certain dollar amount of a total treatment fee.

Gennel

#5 Post by Gennel »

The bonded retainers may last longer than 20 yrs.My sister in law who is 49 yrs old has bonded retainers on her lowers. I asked her at what age did she get the bonded retainers? She said she was about 14 yrs old!!!So she's had them about 35 yrs! I NEVER ever noticed her bonded retainers until she told me that she had to wear headgear and braces for like 2-3 yrs...then I noticed her lower bonded retainer! I didnt want the bonded type because I have missing 1st molars so I have that extraction gap...they would deffinately move if Ididnt have a retainer to hold those in place.

I'm suppose to get 2 molar/implants....when I hit the lottery lol

Gennel

Kristiana

#6 Post by Kristiana »

Wow, what a change! Your teeth are beautiful! :)

Gennel

#7 Post by Gennel »

thanks! That is a first lol I'm in the process now of getting them whitened with Crest premium strips..on day 2 now and 8 more days to go! I've heard lots of good results so I should be a happy girl!

Gennel

Cinnamon

#8 Post by Cinnamon »

Congratulations, your teeth look great!

Click on Wonder Woman to go to my braces story Image

Kristiana

#9 Post by Kristiana »

Gennel wrote:thanks! That is a first lol I'm in the process now of getting them whitened with Crest premium strips..on day 2 now and 8 more days to go! I've heard lots of good results so I should be a happy girl!

Gennel
Crest Whitestrips are great. I've used them, I actually noticed changes within 1-2 days, so once in awhile I just do those a couple times for touch-ups :)

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

I just realized lastnight that you're supposed to use them twice a day 30 min each time! lol Well I deffinately see a big difference today! My top teeth are really whiter and my bottom teeth are catching up nicely.

Gennel