Keeping retainers clean

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

luxekitty

Keeping retainers clean

#1 Post by luxekitty »

I got my braces off a little over a week ago. I was given a retainer and told to wear it 24/7. I was given a list of instructions but only one pertains to cleaning them "brush retainers to clean".

IMO, it doesnt seem to be doing the job. I'm brushing them whenver I brush my teeth and they still dont stay fresh very long. Also my retainer case is gross. I've even rinsed it with listerine and the freshness doesn't seem to last. =/

Is there anything I can do to get then really clean and fresh?? Right now and maybe in the long term too. :D
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Both the Retainer Brite and SonicBrite products do an excellent job of keeping retainers clean. You should not brush a clear plastic Essix retainer, as it may scratch the plastic and dull the retainer over time. Meryaten is correct about being careful about solder points. If your retainer has solder, the product could cause the solder to break down over time. If your retainer doesn't have solder, then either product would be fine to use.

Both products are sold at www.dentakit.com and elsewhere on the web.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Way Too Old For This

#3 Post by Way Too Old For This »

My orthodontist told me to soak my Hawleys in vinegar and if the taste bothers me to give them a quick rinse in mouthwash. However, the vinegar doesn't bother me at all. I find this method to work great. I've had them for 2 months. Whenever they are out of my mouth at home, they are in a little cup of white vinegar. I give them a quick brush off with a toothbrush and rinse with water.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

I have the Essix /clear invisiline one. I assumed that if I use a toothbrush after a while it will get dull and not stay clear. What else can I use? ooh ! and can I find it at the drugstore?

Gennel

alimommy1

#5 Post by alimommy1 »

I have heard you can use denture cleaner too - I might be wrong but this is what dental assistants have mentioned. I use it sometimes but not often, I have a hawley and haven't noticed any problems with soaking it.

moonchick

#6 Post by moonchick »

I have Hawleys and my ortho's instructions were to either brush with toothpaste or clean with antibacterial hand soap. Soak for a half hour in one part water and one part Listerine twice a week to keep it fresh. And always use cold water because hot water can warp the plastic.

I do the brushing because for some reason, I feel like I would be "eating" soap if I used the other method.

reba678

#7 Post by reba678 »

I'm having the same problem. My retainer is the clear one and goes up to the roof of my mouth, and when I take it out in the morning, it STINKS (like bad morning breath). After I eat I brush or rinse with mouthwash, but even now, I took the retainer out, and it smelled again! They gave me some Fixodent tabs to soak in water with the retainer once a week, but I'm wondering what else I can use to keep my breath fresh (since I don't want to have to take the retainer out everytime I need a mint).

I wonder if Binaca (breath spray) would damage the retainer?

chrisk

#8 Post by chrisk »

I use denture cleaner all the time with my Essix retainer and after 20 months they're still going strong. I find they just don't feel fresh using water.

SaraSmile

#9 Post by SaraSmile »

I have an Essex, and I alternate between brushing lightly and soaking in Efferdent. I feel like the Efferdent gets them really clean, really dissolves any ick on the retainer, and leaves it fresh.