Teeth Shifting two years after braces off. (Update)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dblaney

Teeth Shifting two years after braces off. (Update)

#1 Post by dblaney »

Hi. My teeth have started to shift drastically in the last week and its getting worse each day. The most noticeable is in the Front two top teeth. I have an appointment with my orthodontist on september 29th but i am afraid that might be a little bit late. What do you guys think I should do?
Last edited by dblaney on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retainerjoe

#2 Post by retainerjoe »

how many hours a day do you still wear your retainers , i would think as little is the gap is a slight adjustment on thoses retainers should fix it pretty fast
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

diande

#3 Post by diande »

i agree with retainerjoe...and maybe if you're not opposed to having an upper bonded retainer you should enquire about having one placed. hope all goes well :)
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

dblaney

#4 Post by dblaney »

diande wrote:i agree with retainerjoe...and maybe if you're not opposed to having an upper bonded retainer you should enquire about having one placed. hope all goes well :)
I already have both upper and lower bonded retainers.

diande

#5 Post by diande »

ohhh, now that u mention it, i can see it between the teeth. hawley's should be able to help move the teeth back together as i think that's what retainerjoe meant. keep us updated.

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

dblaney

Gotten Worse

#6 Post by dblaney »

Ok so i got my appointment rescheduled to September 10th. However my teeth have shifted more and my top and bottom teeth don't align correctly now. Also my tooth next to my top right front tooth has has kinda been pushed in. I really think i need to resart treatment. My top teeth look worse now than they did before treatment.

platinum

#7 Post by platinum »

I read from another forum that teeth can move even though you have a bonded retainer. It happens pretty slowly, so you dont notice it immediately. i guess the whole set of bonded teeth move together.

Hopefully you get a hawley retainer that moves your teeth back to their original position.

dblaney

#8 Post by dblaney »

Heres a picture of the top arch.

dblaney

Update after appointment

#9 Post by dblaney »

OK, so i got back from the orthodontist and i had impression done for what he referred to as an elastic retainer. I can't find any information on it, but he said it has hooks and rubber band will be attached between the two hook. Anybody know the technical term for such a retainer.

diande

#10 Post by diande »

hmm, i never heard of this. however, from what you describe, it sounds similar to what would be a powerchain's link, but affixed behind the teeth. i guess the hooks would then take the place of an actual bracket for anchorage. let us know how it goes.

dblaney

#11 Post by dblaney »

It seems as if the shifting is getting worse. My wisdom teeth are starting to come in which could be making things worse. More gaps have formed and my bite is not lined up correctly laterally. I feel like the impression i took won't be the same when i go back on October 8th. I also only have three wisdom teeth as one of them never formed.

dblaney

Got new retainer

#12 Post by dblaney »

I got the new retainer. Its similar to a Hawley except instead of a wire going across the front span its a rubber band that you place between two hooks. It not very noticeable from a distance but it looks weird up close. I hope this works and fixes the issue. I will post pics later.