hating the essix. hawleys any better?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fumblebee

hating the essix. hawleys any better?

#1 Post by fumblebee »

Hi, Its been 2 weeks now since I've had my braces off and I hate the essix. The spit trail I get when I take it out is pretty gross and it just feels too bulky on top. The bottom one doesn't really bother me at all though. I've been thinking about asking for a hawley instead but wasn't sure if they serve a different purpose than the essix. Plus I feel like one of my bottom front teeth is a bit loose and sitting farther back than it should. Would a hawley fix this? And the gaps left between my molars are still pretty large and with the essix I don't see how they will be able to close. And I also notice that on my lower front teeth the surface is very rough, but not like the ones that still have a bit of cement on them, it almost feels as if some of the enamel was rubbed off when the brackets were removed and this kind of freaks me out. Has anyone else had anything like that?

LynnHowell

#2 Post by LynnHowell »

Hello and congrats on having your braces removed. I have a hawley and an essix and I prefer the essix hands down. Everyone is different; I'm sure others will reply with how much they love their Hawley. Typically, the Hawley is used if the ortho wants to make adjustments and some orthos feel they retain better. Also, they definitely last longer than an essix.

When I remove my retainers I always rinse just before I do it and sometimes will even stand at the sink and take them out with water in my mouth. I know that's not always convenient, but you'll wear them less and less eventually and it won't be a big deal. If you can get a Hawley, go ahead...you can have both. My ortho prefers his patients to sleep in a Hawley because he thinks they are safer (maybe some people have come close to swallowing their Essix? idk).

The ortho assistant who debanded me also left cement on my teeth. She told me my dentist would get it at my next cleaning (I was rather shocked actually). I figured since they put it on, they could certainly take it off. Anyway, that's my two cents.
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

If you want to treat those gaps I would think you would need the hawley as they can tweak those wires.

I have both hawleys and essix. I love the essix but they don't last as long. I've already had to replace my upper essix due to cracking within one year. But they are so much more comfortable at night than the hawleys. I can manage with an upper hawley (makes my tongue in a comfortable position, but I hate the lower hawley.)
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

SnowSara

#4 Post by SnowSara »

My upper essix felt too bulky until I carefully sanded away some extra material with an emery board. There was too much plastic sticking out and covering the roof of my mouth, which made it difficult to talk, and the inside back edges were murder on my tongue. A little sanding and no more problems at all now, I barely remember I have them in when I wear them at night.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.