Debanding date (a long way off!)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

florencegal

Debanding date (a long way off!)

#1 Post by florencegal »

I've been optimistically sneaking a peek at this board for a couple of weeks now, in the hope my time would be coming soon but now I feel justified in being here as I have a debanding date! Only problem is that it's not for 10 weeks because my ortho is away most of August and they can't fit me in any sooner. I'm really quite annoyed about this as I'm going on holiday in September and hoped to be braces-free by then. I've got my name on a cancellations list but don't have much hope.

Anyways, I should focus on the positive and am over the moon to be nearly finished. All I have remaining to do is a slight open bite along the left and am now wearing box elastics to close that last 1-2mm which seems to be working well after only 2 days. I go in on 19th Sept to get the bonded permanent retainer fitted, go back 2 weeks later on 6th Oct to get debonded and take impressions and then pop back in the following day to pick up my clear retainers (are they Essix? The Invisalign-type ones?). Does this sound like a normal schedule? (apart from having to wait 10 weeks :evil: !!) Why the 2-week wait between getting the bonded retainer fitted and getting debonded? And is it normal to get debonded as soon as things are finished, without a holding period with the braces still on for things to settle? For some reason I had expected a last few little "tweaking" adjustments right at the end for fine-tuning, although I am happy with how things look right now.

Thank you all so much for all the useful information on this board about post-braces life. I'm looking forward to joining you in 3 months!

x

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Congratulations Florencegal, we're both getting there. I'm hoping that my bottom brace will come off maybe August or more realistically September (that final gap I have is closing but it is so slow).

It would be nice if you get a cancellation. I know that feeling of wanting to be free for a special occassion, I had that recently but unfortunately the time just wasn't right. Maybe if you ring your ortho on and off to remind them you're keen to get them off they might keep you at the forefront of their minds if there is a cancellation. (I'm not advocating harrassment, you know what I mean)

I can't answer your question about the bonded retainer but I seem to remember, Higgy I think, had a similar timescale with bonded retainer then debonding so there must be a reason for it.

Enjoy the rest of the Summer (if the sun comes out again!) and soon you'll be free.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Spidey

#3 Post by Spidey »

You seem to be in exactly the same position I was in one month ago!! I was given a debanding date that was 2 months away, and although I was excited, I was "whaaat?!!" Stunned that it seemed such a long wait.

I have been very patient throughout treatment, and started getting a little ancy at this last bit... I almost wish she hadn't said anything about the deband! Ha...

Now I still have only one short month left to wait... And wait... And wait

Coming soon. Tick Tick Tick...

So I have a hot date for impressions, and back brackets removal. Then 1 week later to get bonded and make sure my essix fit. When I pick up the essix, she will take off the remaining brackets. Freedom!!!

So close, yet so so far...