Retainer breath

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cindygale

Retainer breath

#1 Post by cindygale »

Can people really get what they call "retainer breath" from wearing retainers?

Is this common

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

my retainer smells fine. I clean it regularly and only have a "breath issue" in the morning, but it's not anything beyond "morning breath".

A clean retainer is a GOOD THING!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

SnowSara

#3 Post by SnowSara »

Haha, I think it must be similar to denture breath! My ortho initially told me I could soak my essix retainer weekly in a effervescent denture cleaner, but only a 5 or so days in I noticed it started to smell so instead I do it a few times a week. I also rinse and brush it daily. No more stinky retainer!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

TsuKata

#4 Post by TsuKata »

During my first week of wearing the retainer, I was brushing it with water and the scrubbing brush my dentist gave me daily, but it did start getting a funk.

So, I ended up switching to soaking it every day instead of once a week, using Retainer Brite or Efferdent. (My retainer doesn't have solder points.) I also started doing my best to keep it in water or a water/mouthwash mix when it wasn't in my mouth (e.g., mealtimes at home). Those changes seem to have mitigated the retainer funk.
Braces Type: Powerprox ("Six Month" Braces), worn 9/27/2007 through 5/12/2008
My dentist: Lakeside Dental in Lake Zurich, IL

TsuKata

#5 Post by TsuKata »

I was told specifically not to use toothpaste, and I've read that in other places as well. So yeah, just water.
Braces Type: Powerprox ("Six Month" Braces), worn 9/27/2007 through 5/12/2008
My dentist: Lakeside Dental in Lake Zurich, IL

SnowSara

#6 Post by SnowSara »

Same here, I was told to swish with mouthwash with them in, then take them out, give them a quick brush and a rinse. No toothpaste on the essix retainer (although someone here mentioned that they use a gel type toothpaste to no ill effect, but i happen to like my paste and am not taking any chances).

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Jamesyeats

#7 Post by Jamesyeats »

I have a removable brace, and was told to clean it just with normal soap on a toothbrush. It needs lots of rinsing and scrubbing after to get rid of the soap taste, but I was told that toothpaste is abrasive and would make the acrylic less shiny and could affect my speech.

TigerLily

#8 Post by TigerLily »

I brushed my bite plate (like a Hawley) with toothpaste but I remember reading something on a US ortho's website saying not to brush Hawleys with toothpaste but with a liquid soap.

I did try that once with castile soap but even with lots of rinsing, it still tasted very soapy. Was nice and clean though! And smelt of lavender.

joplin

#9 Post by joplin »

Nobody told me not to use toothpaste on my Hawley so I have. Never came to think about whether it is OK or not. I hope it is!
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.