bonding after braces

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alibaba

bonding after braces

#1 Post by alibaba »

I am interested to know if anyone has experience of having any teeth bonded following orthodontic treatment. I am considering having some bonding done (or composites as the dentist calls it) to my two front teeth to improve them as they are not quite right after I've had my braces removed. Been back to the ortho and he says its due to the shape of my teeth and this is the best they'll be. So what I' wondering is if anyone could tell me if the bonding looks natural, if it stains, pros, cons etc?

science teacher

bonding

#2 Post by science teacher »

While I'm not out of braces quite yet I know I will have bonding done to my 2 lateral incisors (#2's) on the top. They are not quite as large as they should be and I will have a gap between them and my canines.

My ortho is willing to take of the braces, let me whiten my teeth, then get bonded for the retainers. If I understand him right it will be similar to the material they use for porcelain crowns, or the stuff they use for fixing chipped teeth.

The only drawback I know of for the bonding is you cannot whiten that material. Make sure your teeth are as white as you can live with for a long time.

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

My son had bonding done on his two front teeth pre-braces due to an accident with a baseball. :soremouth:

The bonding has lasted for 10 years. The dentist is amazed it has lasted so long. There are stains at the point where the bonding joines his teeth. A big problem with them is the fact that he can't bite into an apple or carrot with those teeth.

The bonding is about to be replaced by vaneers (see the sedation dentistry thread in off topic) because the bonding is not as long lasting as vaneers.

My older daughter has bonding on one front tooth that was chipped when she was little. It has been replaced 3 times in 10 years.

The composit they use does not stain.

Is it possible to have your teeth shaped with a high speed disk rather than bonding? Do you have pix?? If the area that needs bonding is really small, it's probably not a big deal to have it done. If it's a large area (like my son's) it could be costly and less stable.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

alibaba

#4 Post by alibaba »

Hi thanks for your replies.
Ive actually had some shaping done which hasnt really addressed the problem, its the way the teeth actually sit.
I know that Lynn(owner of archwired) had some bonding done-I wonder Lynn could you tell me if you have experienced any of the staining that can occur that jennilee mentioned?
I dont want the teeth to look odd after bonding, next to my own teeth. However I'm not completely happy with my teeth after my brace and it niggles me whcih is why im contemplating bonding.

BTW jennilee will try and post pics soon
Science teacher when will you be getting this done?