i am supposed to choose my own retainer type

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dcbraces

i am supposed to choose my own retainer type

#1 Post by dcbraces »

my ortho wants me to choose what type of retainer i get. any thoughts/pros/cons on different types?

I do a lot of speaking in public

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hard Question because I only have the Essix. I can say that I have a job where I have to talk all the time too and the essix has been great for that. It is a bit trickier to get out when you have to eat, but I like that when its in no one even knows you are wearing it, and it took all of about 5 minutes or less to learn how to talk clearly with it. I will be getting a bonded retainer on the bottom at my next visit (my ortho doesn't recommend them for the top as he says people hit them with their teeth while chewing and they get broken off easily. )

My son has the essix on top and bonded on the bottom and thinks they are great. He no longer has to wear his essix during the day, only at night and he says he doesn't even notice the bonded one. I like the essix too because you only see your teeth rather then a wire acrossed the front and bottom. I will say that the first few days though (until your teeth adjust) it can be a bit tricky to get out. I'm 3 days into mine now and it is finally getting easier to remove and replace. So...that is my two cents worth. :)

Brandy

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I Will be requesting I get hawley's because I don't like the idea of permanent retainers and Essix I just don't know! I've paid money for braces went traditional so I think I will stick with traditional and get Hawleys when the braces come off...

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

My ortho puts everyone in Essix with nighttime wear only. I have had no problems with mine so far. I think it took all of two minutes to get used to speaking with them in.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Jillian,
My doctor is the same, he only uses Essix. Hawley's are not an option. I'm really starting to like my Essix now though. It is getting much more comfortable. Just took a few days for my teeth to adjust.

Brandy

momof2grlz

#6 Post by momof2grlz »

I have one of each; upper hawley, lower essix for nighttime and lower fixed. I'm not sure how it would be getting used to a lower hawley, but I really prefer my hawley for retention. Of course my lower essix is practically invisible, but I don't feel like it's substantial enough to prevent small movements. I can actually feel my hawley getting everything snugged back up if I've had it off for the day. I've got no complaints about my lower fixed either. It takes a couple of extra seconds to floss, but that's it. I really wasn't given a choice by my ortho, but knowing what I know now, I think my ortho made the best choice for me.
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

gunter8888

#7 Post by gunter8888 »

I think if I had the option I would like to have Essix for both to wear during the day because they are less visible and impair speech less. Then I would have Hawleys, top and bottom, for night time. The Hawleys seem to be more solid and do a better job at retention.

I think I will actually be getting a permanent retainer on bottom and a hawley up top.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Beckster

#8 Post by Beckster »

What I can tell you is that essix will effect your speech the least, and that is what I would request in your situation.

I had hawleys when I had my braces off the first time and didn't care for them much. This time I have essix at night, as well as a fixed lower. If I were in you, I would ask for a fixed lower, regardless, and definitely essix.

Good luck to you!

SkyWolf

#9 Post by SkyWolf »

My best friend spent 3 years in braces and she had essix retainers. Within 2 years of being debanded her retainers had turned a sickening yellow and had holes all over them. Her teeth have shifted back completely. My ex b/f had a halwley top and bottom and he got his off over 8 years ago and his are still picture perfect. I refused to have a bonded retainer on the bottom and I refused to have the clear ones. My ortho hates the essix retainers as he says they break much to easy.

Betty Bat

#10 Post by Betty Bat »

I always get worried when I read posts with "Essix hate" in them. I've been wearing my Essix (upper) retainer since last April with no problems. That's 9 months for me.

On the other hand, I HATE my Hawley, which I got in October. It doesn't hurt, but it's uncomfortable. And, I think the Hawleys are really ugly. I didn't think the braces looked too bad, but I really don't like the look of the Hawley - when I'm wearing it AND when it's in its little case, sitting on the sink.

So, this is just a reminder - remember that whatever you like or don't like, chances are that there is at least one person out who has the opposite opinion. (Unless it's something really stupid, of course, like holding your teeth in place with duct tape and toothpicks)

Beckster

#11 Post by Beckster »

Betty--This is a tad off topic but wanted to say that your remark about the duct tape and toothpicks was HILARIOUS! :D

Betty Bat

#12 Post by Betty Bat »

Meryaten,
You always have a fair and balanced view of pretty much anything related to orthodontics, so my previous comment certainly was not directed to anything that you had said. But I was commenting on Skywolf's post:
[quote]
My ortho hates the essix retainers as he says they break much to easy.
[/quote]

And, Beckster, thanks!

Betty Bat

#13 Post by Betty Bat »

Meryaten,
Very true! There's no such thing as a free lunch when it comes to retainers - or pretty much anything else in life.