Tooth shaping. Enough already!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Tooth shaping. Enough already!

#1 Post by genxsis »

While I was in braces, which is until recently, my ortho did some tooth shaping on me on alot of my visits every 2 months. Not at the beginning, but later on, and then it was every time for about 8 appointments. Then on my debracing day, he did it again! Now I found out that when I go back in 4 months, he wants to do it again! When is enough actually enough??? I've heard in the past that it was only done at the very end. So why does my ortho do it so often, and what purpose can it possibly serve to do it so much? Doesn't it hurt the teeth when so much enamel gets taken off?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

genxsis

#2 Post by genxsis »

I will certainly ask him that next time. But have you heard of anyone having it done so many times? Shouldn't it just be a 1 time thing?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I don't think my otho does it at all!

One of my incisors is longer than the other and there was NEVER any talk of reshaping.

I have to say it does sound like you've got a shape-happy ortho. I would worry about too much since you can't put it back!

Can you see anything going wrong when you look at your teeth? Are they looking like they're "shrinking" or is it a little off of one tooth then a little off of another?
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

smile2006

#4 Post by smile2006 »

I had shaping done on one tooth during treatment and then on my upper, front four just yesterday. I like the result but when I slide my tongue across the bottom of those teeth they feel so different now....I too wonder about sanding off parts of teeth in the long term :(

genxsis

#5 Post by genxsis »

My teeth do feel different now. They are rough on the edge where he did the grinding, and in one place, my cheek gets caught on it just enough to cause me to bite my cheek. When he does the shaping, he just goes "all over the place", grinding this one real quick, then going to another, then a few more, then back to where he started, etc. It seems like he's just doing it for the heck of it! And doing it at EVERY appointment really makes me think it can't possibly be necessary. jennielee81 is right, once it's gone, it can't be put back!

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

Well, I've tried expressing concerns to them before, but I keep being told that I'm not trained as an orthodontist, or they tell me that it doesn't take hardly anything off the tooth, etc. They just make me so mad, but what can I do short of making a scene in the middle of the place when they insist they know everything, and I just need to trust them?

Steph-in-WI

#7 Post by Steph-in-WI »

Meryaten wrote:I guess the best I can suggest is that you ask him to explain why a tooth needs reshaping before he does it.
I agree with Meryaten. He should be able to explain why the tooth needs reshaping before he does it, even if you are not a "trained orthodontist".

I just got my braces on last Thursday, and my ortho did some minimal shaving, just on the sides of my lowers. He had explained in a previous appointment that this would be done to create a little more space since I am severely crowded on the lowers, and he would much rather shave the tooth vs. pull teeth to make space. He assured me that he would not compromise the enamel of the teeth by doing so (by showing me a diagram of the tooth and where the enamel is thicker on the tooth, and the part he shaves). Because I am so crowded on my lowers, he was not able to create the amount of space needed the first time, but as my teeth begin to straighten he will gain some access where he couldn't get in before, so I know there will be some additional shaving down the road.

So you at least deserve an explanation to put you at ease. They're your teeth, even if you're not an expert!

Fairy Queen

Tooth shaping

#8 Post by Fairy Queen »

Hi Genxs,

I also raised a concern with my ortho about grinding a lump off one of my front teeth and he went absolutely nuts and started yelling at me! I let him calm down then politely (and rather partonisingly) told him that I was merely concerned about the long term implications of such practice, that I was in no way questioning nor underming his professionalism but rather, as a layperson I just needed a little reasurrance. I think my approach left him feeling decidedly foolish. I had my braces removed today (after almost 3 years - I was initially told it would be 18 months) and tomorrow MY OWN dentist will be reshaping that tooth. Needless to say, my ortho wasn't happy about that and had a bit of a grumble. My teeth, my money, my call - he can either like it or lump it! **LOL**
"Friends are God's apology for relatives" (Hugh Kingsmill)

totalwise

Re: Tooth shaping

#9 Post by totalwise »

Fairy Queen wrote:Hi Genxs,

I also raised a concern with my ortho about grinding a lump off one of my front teeth and he went absolutely nuts and started yelling at me! I let him calm down then politely (and rather partonisingly) told him that I was merely concerned about the long term implications of such practice, that I was in no way questioning nor underming his professionalism but rather, as a layperson I just needed a little reasurrance. I think my approach left him feeling decidedly foolish. I had my braces removed today (after almost 3 years - I was initially told it would be 18 months) and tomorrow MY OWN dentist will be reshaping that tooth. Needless to say, my ortho wasn't happy about that and had a bit of a grumble. My teeth, my money, my call - he can either like it or lump it! **LOL**
I can't believe he shouted at you, that is so unprofessional. Maybe that's why it's taken him 3 years to get the job done. :lol:

totalwise

#10 Post by totalwise »

On the subject at hand, I've has some minor filing on my teeth. QUite a lot actually.

The main reason why I had so much done is because I only had 2 lower incisors and all 4 uppers. The lowers never grew for some reason. So the teeth didn't really pair up, as a result the bit was a bit off, but my ortho did well to fix my bite, and needed to do a bit of filing to get the teeth to close propeerly.

He always explained clearly what he wanted to do, and why he was doing it, he walways did it as a last resort also.

I've had a few minor shavings on the deband day (today), just for finishing touches so that the bite closes properly.

I had an argument on a previous thread with someone about the unprofessionalism of some orthodontics, I guess this thread is a case in point. That you must be assertive and look out for yourself, just because he seems to know what he's talking about and dressed in a labcoat doesn't mean he's going to do the job properly.

lilleth

#11 Post by lilleth »

My ortho shaved a bit between molars to get a band on a 2nd molar. He knew I didn't like that because I told him so, but he did ask about it.

Then, after debanding, I was shocked when he was using the tool to clean up glue that the tech wasn't able to get at - and he suddenly came at me with the reshaping tool without asking me. I must have looked funny (My mouth was already open and I was afraid to close it) because he said "I think this will help you keep from chipping the edges." Well, I had planned to have the existing small chips in incisors bonded - not smoothed! He knew I didn't like it, but I didn't have the presence of mind after a fairly painful debanding process to put my hands up and say "No"! I'm still upset I didn't do that.

He had done a good job all along of talking to me about what he was doing, so I was pretty shocked that he did this without asking me. I guess he figured he had gained my confidence and he could do what he wanted. I don't know.

thenumber12

#12 Post by thenumber12 »

I never had my teeth shaved and never heard of anyones teeth getting shaved so much but every ortho has his/her own approach. Since once enamel is lost you can never get it back, I suggest you ask him what's up.

thenumber12

Re: Tooth shaping

#13 Post by thenumber12 »

Fairy Queen wrote:Hi Genxs,

My ortho kind of acted like that when I raised my concerns about possible tmj. He told me that I didn't know anything about tmj and once debonded, my "non existent" tmj imflamed. Now I have to allow my teeth to relapse and spend more money on treatment. your teeth is something you have to live with so it's your right to know so I suggest going to another ortho and raising your concerns there.

SkyWolf

#14 Post by SkyWolf »

About halfway through my treatment my ortho filed away some of the chips on my bottom four front teeth and my two front teeth. He did this so that they could be aligned more precisely. I admitt the one tooth was a bit sensitive but they looked amazing when he finished. Prior to braces though my dentist had mentioned filing between the teeth to create more space. So some filing can't be to bad for them. I would definately ask though.

SolarFeline

#15 Post by SolarFeline »

The thing that orthos forget is that it is OUR bodies, not THEIRS that they are doing this to. So what if we not orthos? Are we not in control of our own bodies? Are we not the client/patient paying for a service? My ortho continually "jokes" with me at the end of every adjustment that he will file one of my top front teeth down to match the other, when the top banding comes off. I continually tell him, "If you do that, I will see you in court, after you have had my solicitor "talk" to you." I think he thinks I'm being "cute" and joking. :roll:

Anyway, I have digressed. I have had some space between my top and bottom back molars shaved "a bit" to get the metal ring thingy over them. I thought the spacers were "supposed" to do that. Hmmm.