Jaw ache after braces removal

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lilleth

Jaw ache after braces removal

#1 Post by lilleth »

I had braces 2 years and 9 months to fix overbite. I have one molar crown which required a band (other back molars had brackets). I had braces removed Oct 10. AFter that, the crowned molar was sensitive to cold liquids. The next week I had a serious cleaning at dentist's office. The hygenist said she didn't see any recession that would cause that, and dentist said teeth looked fine. NEvertheless, about 1x a day, I get a jaw ache that requires aspirin or ibuprofen. Anyone have any thoughts what this is about? There is no root canal in the crown. I keep thinking the tooth will settle down, but so far, it hasn't.

ghostmyimag3

#2 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Funny i should run across this. Im due to get mine off Dec 11, and one of my molars with the band on it is really sensitive to cold. It just started about 4 weeks ago but it has calmed down from what it was. I'm still curious on the process of getting the band off. I know what the brackets are like those are quick.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Chris

Re: Jaw ache after braces removal

#3 Post by Chris »

I had braces 2 years and 9 months to fix overbite. I have one molar crown which required a band (other back molars had brackets). I had braces removed Oct 10. AFter that, the crowned molar was sensitive to cold liquids. The next week I had a serious cleaning at dentist's office. The hygenist said she didn't see any recession that would cause that, and dentist said teeth looked fine. NEvertheless, about 1x a day, I get a jaw ache that requires aspirin or ibuprofen. Anyone have any thoughts what this is about? There is no root canal in the crown. I keep thinking the tooth will settle down, but so far, it hasn't.
Jaw aching may be a sign of clenching and grinding at night. Talk to your dentist about a nightguard. Check out the NTI nightguards too.
Sensitivity to cold doesn't usually mean the need for a root canal....before a root canal is suggested they ask especially about HOT liquid sensitivity or pain on biting and they tap on the tooth to see if it brings about pain.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

lilleth

#4 Post by lilleth »

Well, it's been closing in on 3 months since debanding, and I still have intermittent jaw pain. I've seen my dentist and my ortho in the last 6 weeks. Both said the molar in question looks fine and there are no cracks. I've not had an xray. Now both my molars on the left side sometime ache. I have an essix retainer on the upper teeth to prevent grinding problems at night, and a spring retainer on the bottom as they are still tweaking some of the lower front canines. I wear the spring retainer 14 hours a day. When I have both the upper and lower retainers in at night, it does affect my bite. I may be grinding then. The ortho said he suspected I was clenching - but the thing is this pain started right after debanding.

I went to my acupuncturist in November, she put some needles in my jaw, and I had no pain for about a week. Then it started intermittently again. I went back yesterday and she treated the jaw again. Most days I have to take aspirin or advil to control the pain - but only a little pain medication makes it go away. But I don't like taking pain meds every day.

On Christmas Night the pain was intense, the worst I've had, but again it went away fairly quickly.

Anyone else have other stories like this?

urfutureortho

#5 Post by urfutureortho »

You might have gotten the TMJ disorder. You could be clenching at night, if you are, you will eventually cause the disorder. I have it, and that is how it formed in my jaw. I clench my teeth alot. Ask your dentist to check your TMJ joint to make sure it rotates right. It can cause head-aches, pain in the face, jaw pain etc. It can also be caused by orthodontic treatment. So, like I said ask your dentist about it.
-Urfutureortho

lianas

#6 Post by lianas »

Is it possible that tooth may be contacting before the others and need a little adjusting maybe its hitting too hard.