question on tooth movement after braces removed

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

michael33

question on tooth movement after braces removed

#1 Post by michael33 »

I have read a lot of posts about teeth moving after braces are removed. Now I know its different for everyone but, typically what type of movement are we talking. Teeth moving back horizontally, or teeth moving back vertically, or both? I have been wearing rubber bands for a few months to pull down my teeth & close the bite. I am worried that once I finish the rubber bands & braces, my top teeth will move back up. :x I have seen some pics of retainers & I don't see how they keep the teeth from moving back vertically. So, after braces removed, are teeth more likely to move horizontally than vertically?? Thanks....I can finally say that the end is in sight!

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

So far I have two teeth that want to "rotate" back. My lower canine and the tooth next to it. My ortho has made a new hawley with a spring in it to help rotate the canine back as well as putting a bend in the wire to tip the other tooth back. It relatively minor but its there and I notice it. Part of that spring is exposed and when my tongue gets "caught"...OUCH!!! :x

Regarding your bite, you should know that retention for what was done with elastics is the hardest to "retain". Thats what my ortho told me.

My bite is good in the morning with my molars touching and then a few hours later is more open posteriorly.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

ollieeeeeee

Re: question on tooth movement after braces removed

#3 Post by ollieeeeeee »

your teeth wont move back. your teeth moved up probably because of your bite or your tongue was in the wrong position.
if you keep your tongue in the hollower part of the roof of your mouth, then your teeth will stay straighter anyway, your jaw wont get narrower, and wont have a bad effect on your teeth so no they wont move back

felicia

#4 Post by felicia »

I had Hawley retainers, I hated them because they did not keep my teeth in place.
Now I have Essix retainers, and my teeth have not moved at all.
I advice everybody to get the essix retainers and then you won't have to worry about a thing.

UGHBRACES

#5 Post by UGHBRACES »

felicia wrote:I had Hawley retainers, I hated them because they did not keep my teeth in place.
Now I have Essix retainers, and my teeth have not moved at all.
I advice everybody to get the essix retainers and then you won't have to worry about a thing.
I have hawley and my teeth haven't moved at all in the 8 months since braces have been removed. Hawley's are considered the industries gold standard.
And if I remember correctly, the type of relapse you had was that your tooth moved vertically back up into your gum. Essix nor hawley would prevent that because they are not attached to the teeth. Maybe the reason why the tooth hasn't moved back into the gumline this time is that it is now more stable due to the extended time in braces, or you have a permanent retainer attached and the other more stable teeth that are also attached to that wire are acting as an anchor to hold it in place..

felicia

#6 Post by felicia »

UGHBRACES, you are right, one of my upper teeth relapsed and moved vertically, and yes, it might be more stable now due to the extra 6 months in braces. I do not have a permanent retainer on my upper arch though.
I also had a lower canine that relapsed and started to rotate, and no adjustment that my ortho did in the Hawley retainer helped.
All I'm saying is that Essix retainers work for me, Hawley retainers did not.