Bonded retainer top and bottom?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Freckles

Bonded retainer top and bottom?

#1 Post by Freckles »

Hello :)

Well I've been reading this site a lot over the last 3 years! Anyway, I finally had the orthodontist visit I've been waiting for and have been told my braces are coming off finally after 3 years.

My orthodontist has told me I will just have a bonded retainer on top and bottom (which I'm actually secretly pleased about :))

So... I was wondering if anyone here has a bonded/permanent retainer both on top and bottom teeth and what your experience has been like?

Ceramics top and bottom - 14th December 2004
They are off! 7th November 2007 (way longer than the estimated 18 months!!!
- Lower bonded
- Upper hawley but upper bonded to be placed on 30th April 2008
----------------------------------------------------------
~ Having a baby is giving your heart permission to walk outside your body ~

Granola

#2 Post by Granola »

That is exciting to know you will soon have your braces removed!

Linda21 (on this board) has both upper and lower bonded retainers. She has a braces journal in the Braces Stories section of the board where she talks about them, and her posts her in the Naked Tooth forum may also discuss her experience with them as well (hers were placed prior to being debanded).
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Freckles

#3 Post by Freckles »

Thank you so much for the replies, Granola and Linda21 :)

I am very excited about having them off and I'm pleased that I'm having the bonded retainers as I can be quite forgetful and would most likely lose/forget to put in removable retainers. I actually had my top braces temporarily taken off a year ago for my wedding and had an Essix retainer - I was hopeless with it!!! :wink:

It's been a long road - especially since he originally told me I would only have braces for 18 months :shock: Oh well - all good!

Linda21, did you have to have a mould done for your bonded retainers? I think I have to have a mould done for one lot but not the other - I wasn't sure what normally happened...

Thanks again :)
- Lower bonded

Granola

#4 Post by Granola »

Freckles, I know you asked Linda21 this question so hope you don't mind me answering, but in my case I had an impression done for my lower bonded retainer at my last adjustment, which meant the bonded was ready and waiting on my debonding day. :D
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Freckles

#5 Post by Freckles »

Thanks so much for both your replies :) Now I can just sit and wait for the big day!

PS Linda21, I tried to PM you but I don't think it worked... anyway, you might need to check your "My Braces Story" link in your sig. It doesn't seem to takes me to your story, but maybe it's just me :)
- Lower bonded

Freckles

#6 Post by Freckles »

No problems, linda21, glad I could help :D

Apparently my top braces are definitely coming off on 7th November and maybe the bottoms at the same time. If he's not completely happy with the bottoms, he's going to leave them on a few more weeks. I'll be happy just to have the top ones off anyway, I can't wait!

Thanks again for all your info :)
- Lower bonded

oceanblue

#7 Post by oceanblue »

I have a lower bonded retainer. I didn't get a mold or anything for it! After my bottom braces were taken off the ortho assistant just took a small piece of wire and glued it to my bottom 6 teeth. It seemed very simple and I couldn't believe that was it. Sometimes I wonder if I should get a clear retainer for my bottom teeth in addition to the bonded wire. Does anyone have both? :shock:
Upper ceramic and lower metal braces
Round #2 - Had braces as a teen for 4 years!
Treatment time: 14 months
Braces on: July 19th, 2006
Bottom braces off: August 29th, 2007
Top braces off: September 19th, 2007
BLWR on bottom and Essix on top!

dubnobass

#8 Post by dubnobass »

I don't have both yet, but my orthodontist mentioned today that I'm likely to be put into Essix (clear) retainers top and bottom -and- will have a lower bonded retainer (as my lower teeth apparently have a lot of 'memory' and will need the permanent retention).
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

TheUnk311

#9 Post by TheUnk311 »

oceanblue wrote:I have a lower bonded retainer. I didn't get a mold or anything for it! After my bottom braces were taken off the ortho assistant just took a small piece of wire and glued it to my bottom 6 teeth. It seemed very simple and I couldn't believe that was it. Sometimes I wonder if I should get a clear retainer for my bottom teeth in addition to the bonded wire. Does anyone have both? :shock:
I had the exact same thing done, but also on my uppers. I am picking up my retainers in a few days. Why I need both I'm not sure, but hopefully it means I only have to wear them at night