Gap between the upper central incisors keep recurring.

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jane2

Gap between the upper central incisors keep recurring.

#1 Post by jane2 »

When the orthodontist used tight C-chain, the gap closed. When he used loose C-chain, the gap recurred one day after the visit. Two weeks ago, he did not use the C-chain, now the gap between by two upper central teeth became it's original state 1 and a half years ago (just one week after the last visit). I think he would reapply the C-chain again on my next visit.

This gap between the two upper central teeth appeared less than 4 years ago. I began my ortho treatment 1.5 years ago. I mentioned it to the doc before, he then used C-chain to close the gap. What I am really concerned is that the gap would recur after the brace is off, which is expected to be the end of this year. The doc said retainer would help. Would it really help? Now, only the very tight C-chain can close the gap.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Aurelia

#2 Post by Aurelia »

Hi there, I had a large gap between my two front teeth and was terrified of it coming back, when my brace came off my Ortho put a small bonded retainer behind them to stop them going anywhere! I also have a clear retainer that I wear at night to stop the others from moving.

:D
All good things come to those that wait

jane2

#3 Post by jane2 »

Thank you very much. I will ask my Ortho for the small bonded retainer behind the teeth. I think I'll need it after my brace come off in the future.

jane2

#4 Post by jane2 »

Aurilia:

I have one more question. Does the small bonded retainer behind the teeth interfere with your wearing of the clear retainer?

Thanks.

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

I have/had the same problem and same solution. It works fabulously. There is no interference between retainers. They should take your molds when your bonded retainer is already on in any case. :)

Best of luck.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

jane2

#6 Post by jane2 »

Thank you very much for the sharing of your experience. I'll ask my ortho for the small bonded retainer to be fixed behind my front upper central teeth.