Permanent Retainer.

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mitora

Permanent Retainer.

#1 Post by Mitora »

Hi, I'm getting close to the end of my braces journey and will soon need a retainer. I'm a bit apprehensive about permanent (bonded) retainers, but my mother is not giving me much of a choice in the matter so I would like to ask a few questions about them.

If you have them, how much did they cost?

Do they hurt at all?

Do they need to be adjusted or tightened like braces or removable retainers sometimes do?

What are the eating limits? Can I have my bubblegum yet?!?!

How hard are they to break? Is that common or do you really have to work on it?

I'd really appreciate any answers y'all would have on the subject. I am very nervous about it. Thank you very much in advance.

Lauren1000

#2 Post by Lauren1000 »

hi, im might be getting them too, but do you have a lisp with a top retainer?

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

my lower retainer cost was included in my entire treatment cost.

The way it is bonded does not limit my eating in any way!! The ortho even said that it is bonded so that food glides over it. No limits what so ever were put on it!! Also there was absolutely no impact on my speech either.

Go with what your ortho does best!

I will read that link Meryaten!

Jennie
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Mitora

#4 Post by Mitora »

Thank you all very much for your help, I appreciate it. I'm not nearly as nervous about it as I was at first. Now I want them. ^^

mrsphase74

#5 Post by mrsphase74 »

Hi,

I am new to the site and I was just reading over all of the information you all provided about bonded retainers. I have metal uppers and soon I will be getting debonded and I was told I would be getting a bonded retainer, but I also will have to wear a Essix or Hawley retainer. Why both? Or will I have to wear the removable retainers for a while before I get the bonded retainer? :?:

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

WELCOME, mrsphase74!

Could it be that you're getting a bonded retainer on the bottom and then you will have the essex or hawley for the upper? That's the way I have it.

BUT
I also had an essex on the bottom for several months to straighten things out more after I got my braces off before they bonded my retainer.

Most people get it bonded immediately after de-bracing so basically, your ortho could be doing any of the above, or not! Some people have had both bonded and essex on the bottom. My guess is that because the bonded retainer only goes on 6 teeth, their ortho wants to make sure the molars don't move. My ortho said that my bite was enough to mantain my molar position on the bottom as the upper hawley keeps the top ones in line.

I hope that helps some!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

mrsphase74

#7 Post by mrsphase74 »

Thank you jennielee81! That really helps, btw I read all of your posts on your orthodontic treatment, your smile is gorgeous! :) :!: I have browsed this website before, but never looked through any of the forums. I really regret not getting more involved over the duration of my treatment. I have been in braces on my uppers (none on my lowers) for 14 months (was promised 6 months....hmmm). I really could have learned a lot from all of you.

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

Very happy I could help!

Thanks for your complement on my teeth, I love them, too!!

It's never too late to join in our family, we're always willing to listen, help, laugh, and support. (not necesarilly in that order!)

Best wishes to you!!

Jenn

mrsphase74

#9 Post by mrsphase74 »

Thanks for the welcome Jennielee :D

adorable96

permanent retainers

#10 Post by adorable96 »

Hi,

So im getting my braces off in like 3 dayzz and i was told that im going to be getting a permanent retainer, well i over heard them saying that so im kind of clueless on weather im going to have them on the bottom or top teeth...im new to this sight and just found it and was reading some of the responces people posted and got some very valuable information but i am still wondering on some stuff....
1: when u 1st get them on do they hurt?
2: are they noticable by ppl around you?
3: do you have to wear them for the rest of your life?
4: how often do u have to go in for a check up?
5: can you even get them on your top teeth?

I will apreciate any information any1 has 4 me!!!!! and thankyou in advanced...im driving myself crazy trying to get answers :D

Muffinmamma

#11 Post by Muffinmamma »

I am hoping to get mine soon, I am very jealous your day is imminent!

From what I have heard it does not hurt, I guess your tongue may feel them a little, nothing like having the metal brackets that rub your cheeks.
My colleague had them, I didn't know till she showed me, I would have noticed if she jawned I guess!

They are permanent, I have braces at 39years, teeth tend to try to move centrally as you age so if you don't have these (as I didn't age 15) you may have to do it all again later!

You may well have them top and bottom, my colleague did and I will.

Good luck with it, I hope to get my date this week.

Miss Smiley

#12 Post by Miss Smiley »

jennielee81 wrote:WELCOME, mrsphase74!

Could it be that you're getting a bonded retainer on the bottom and then you will have the essex or hawley for the upper? That's the way I have it.

BUT
I also had an essex on the bottom for several months to straighten things out more after I got my braces off before they bonded my retainer.

Most people get it bonded immediately after de-bracing so basically, your ortho could be doing any of the above, or not! Some people have had both bonded and essex on the bottom. My guess is that because the bonded retainer only goes on 6 teeth, their ortho wants to make sure the molars don't move. My ortho said that my bite was enough to mantain my molar position on the bottom as the upper hawley keeps the top ones in line.

I hope that helps some!
I ended up with a bonded on the lower 6, with a a hawley lower, tray upper. Bonded was put on right after debanding. I still don't like my lower bonded but will have that removed at a later time after my teeth have stabilized a bit longer.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

adorable96

#13 Post by adorable96 »

Well i got my permenent retainer and your teeth kind of hurt the first like 5 dayzz, thats how long mine took but it may be different for other ppl, they didnt give me ANY food limitations and im happy with the turn out....they feel great and there rly not that noticable at all....and after a while i kinda 4got they were even there.....GOOD LUCK TO ANY1 WHO HAS TO GET THEM!!!!!!!!! :D

RGW

#14 Post by RGW »

What if your bottom row isn't really the issue? My ortho has always been more concerned with my top row of teeth. And how "permanent" is this permanent retainer? Wouldn't you eventually have to have it removed?

na2r4

#15 Post by na2r4 »

I had mine put on today, both top and bottom. Top one feels fine, it's fixed right on to the back of all 4 front teeth. Bottom one supports my bottom front 6 teeth and it is only attached to 2 teeth, bottom one juts out a little, but not too badly, it's ever so slight. In NY, top retainer costs around 350, i don't know about other states, i'm afraid. I know that only some people are candidates for the top retainers though, not everyone can have them.