Upper Bonded Retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eling211

Upper Bonded Retainer

#1 Post by eling211 »

This is actually my first post here.. even though I'm getting my braces off in a few days! Since I had jaw surgery too, I've been frequenting the orthognatic surgery yahoo group. (Great site if you know anyone who's going through jaw surgery!)

Anyway, I'd been reading on several online forums that many people prefer the bonded retainers. When I asked my orthodontist if I can get those instead of the Hawley retainers, he said he can do the bonded retainer on the bottom teeth only. Anyone else experience this? And if so, do you know why? I don't think he plans to move my teeth around anymore, since he says there's not much more moving around left to do. But I'm quite disappointed that I can't have the bonded retainer on the uppers as well as lowers.

mtbrncofn

#2 Post by mtbrncofn »

I have a bonded upper one. It's doable, but I know it's not a preferred treatment. You might have some space issues with your bite that won't allow it.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

aussierob

#3 Post by aussierob »

Most probably due to a space/clearance issue with your bite - too small a space to attach them behind upper teeth?

Pixel Witch

#4 Post by Pixel Witch »

I am getting a bonded upper because of my gapping. My ortho believes the benefit of having it in my case overrides the negatives.

He mentioned that he normally does NOT do a bonded on the top.