Cosmetic dentistry after braces?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Veruka_Salt

Cosmetic dentistry after braces?

#1 Post by Veruka_Salt »

Hi everyone,

I'm curious as to whether any of you have had or plan to have cosmetic dentistry done after your braces come off. I'm seeing a cosmetic dentist to rectify some uneven wearing that was caused by my old bite and crowding. I also have a couple of minor chips that I'd like to fix, and maybe (just maybe) have my gumline re-surfaced where it's uneven at the front. I figure now that my teeth are straight, I might as well finish them off!

Have any of you had experience with cosmetic dentistry and if so, what was your experience like?

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I need some bonding after braces. Places that have been chipped away from grinding and a canine that was ground down too much (before braces) at the bottom will need to be built up again to cover the empty space at the top that was created after my teeth moved. Plus any large gaps that can't be closed I would like bonded around the laterals.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

KittyW

#3 Post by KittyW »

I'm having all of my old 1960s and 1970s metal fillings replaced with tooth colored fillings. I've also got to replace several old crowns. I had my teeth professionally Zoom2 whitened this week too. :D I'd like my dentist to shape my lower front teeth a bit more too...I too am a grinder.

I agree with you...we've spent all this time and money getting our teeth straightened...might as well go all the way!
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

I got a couple of teeth bonded to help fill some small gaps after the braces came off. I also had a couple of metal fillings on the bottom molars changed to composite (tooth-colored).
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

kirst1583

#5 Post by kirst1583 »

My front tooth was a real dark colour. I'd had root canal on it because I fainted on concrete years ago and knocked half of it out.
The dentist injected bleach/peroxide into the back of it and replaced the filling. After 3 (relatively pain free) trips all looks as good as new!
He shaped the bottom a bit to get a natural look and matched it up to my other one.

SueFromNJ

My canine is yellow!

#6 Post by SueFromNJ »

I originally thought I wouldn't need any cosmetic dentistry, but now I am thinking I better start saving some $$$ for extra work! I just got my braces off, and honestly there was no "WOW" factor to my new smile. Probably because my teeth still don't look like those blaring white, perfect ones we always see on TV. They seem uneven still, and the biggest problem is my wayward canine (which used to stick out so badly) is basically YELLOW! :FeelSick: I guess having it stuck up so far out of place for so many years discolored it. Someone even asked me why I had a gold tooth!! :( Actually both canines are yellow, but one is worse. And this canine still doesn't look even with the rest of my row of teeth, as it slants inward. Ortho said with what I started with, and I guess with all the damage to the bone, it's the best that can be done!

Here's my new smile. The one discolored canine really ruin the eveness of everything, in my opinion. :(

But I am started to think that down the line, I better look into teeth whitening, even though my teeth are so sensitive already. And I even wonder if I should look into a veneer for that canine, as maybe if it had a different shape and color it would look so much better. But I don't think I would ever go that far, but whitening seems to be a must for me!
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

johnnys_angel

#7 Post by johnnys_angel »

Congrats on the smile, Sue!! I think it looks fantastic, and your teeth look pretty white to me :) I can never seem to get my teeth as white as I want them.......think Bon Jovi white ;) Have fun!!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Duffle

#8 Post by Duffle »

Yeah - I'm going to have some gum recontouring where there is some uneveness on my top arch and I'll also have my fillings changed to white fillings but only as and when they need replacing.

Jennifer

#9 Post by Jennifer »

I had my braces removed on May 15th of this year. I have to see the peridontist tomorrow to talk about one front tooth where the gum has receded way to much and loss of bone..... I did not find out that I would be looking at getting veneers until I was 5 months into braces. I wore braces a little over 2 yrs. I was told that I have to wait at least 3 months after the braces came off before I can get the 6 veneers on the top..... So sometime in August I will be getting the veneers. And hopefully a permanent bonding on the top teeth. This hawley retainer is a pain to wear 24/7.

ashantia

#10 Post by ashantia »

I am still in braces with a little while to go, but I to will get the gum contouring to show off more of my teeth and a little bonding for some chips and to even out my teeth from grinding.

My question is do you need to communicate what you want to do after braces with your ortho? Will this at all affect anything?

Does anyone know if gum contouring can be done before braces come off?

thanks

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

Yes, absolutely start discussing it with your ortho. My ortho and I had the discussion of bonding. He could try to make my teeth look good the way they are, or straighten them so that they will be ready to be bonded. They can do little tricks to pull teeth down to make them look like they line up with other ones. My dentist wants my teeth lined up as if they were ALREADY straight on the bottom and then we will bond them accordingly. To be honest I don't know if I want anything done at all but we will have to wait and see. The dentist said no bonding, no nothing until my teeth have settled for 6 months after I get my braces off. I am relieved about this because it will give me alot of time to thing about it and to save money if I need to. My dentist was talking bonding all along - now all of a sudden he is talking veneers. I almost ran out of there. But, really I have alot of time to think it over and I am going to get alot of opinions. I probably have 6 months to go in braces and then 6 months after that so no rush.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

The dentist said no bonding, no nothing until my teeth have settled for 6 months after I get my braces off. .
WOW that long! :yikes: I was told wait 2 months after debanding to get my bridge. If I waited 6 months my teeth would over erupt down to the empty space.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

sjsarre

#13 Post by sjsarre »

I had my three silver fillings replaced with white ones before I started my brace journey. The Ortho has recommended that he square off a couple of my teeth after treatment due to having such a wierd bite before they have worn away slightly uneven. But other than that I don't envisage any other form of treatment. Oh but a I will be having whitening done aswell!! My teeth are really quite white now i've been brushing more carefully. That must be my natural whiteness coming out. He said it wouldn't take much to whiten my teeth nicely.

:D

hippyhippo

#14 Post by hippyhippo »

I definitely going to the teeth whitening route after braces. I wanted to have it done months ago, but the dentist recommended I see an ortho first, in case I wanted to fix my teeth. My dentist didn't want me to have to pay for two sets of trays, what a sweetheart.

Other than that, I have a feeling I might need some reshaping done thanks to uneven wear. But I won't know until these braces are OFF. Now if I could just get them ON ;)

jcdamon3

#15 Post by jcdamon3 »

WOW that long! I was told wait 2 months after debanding to get my bridge. If I waited 6 months my teeth would over erupt down to the empty space.
I have no idea if this applies to a bridge or not. This is about bonding and/or veneers.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!