Moving teeth with Hawleys

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

downhillsnowskier

Moving teeth with Hawleys

#1 Post by downhillsnowskier »

Some people had asked about tooth movements with Hawleys so I figured I'd share my experience today. I had braces for 2 years, about 15 years ago, and over time the gap between my two top front teeth got a little bigger and the bottom front teeth started to corkscrew a little. Not a lot of movement, but just enough to be annoying. So today I saw an orthodontist where I now live, and he tightened up my hawleys, shaved some acrylic and did some tweaking, and they're a lot tighter but it looks like he's pulling things back into line already! He said wear them 24/7 for 6 weeks, then come back for a checkup/adjustment. Hope this helps!

leah

retainers

#2 Post by leah »

That is great to hear. Especally since I went to my ortho today and he told me im done with my braces and will do any final tweeking with my retainers... thanks for sharing

Best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Yes, in fact I have been out of braces about a year and a half and a small gap opened up between two molars -- just big enough to be annoying. My ortho tweaked my Hawley by shaving some acrylic from it and now after only a few days the gap is definitely smaller.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Shane

#4 Post by Shane »

Great news!

I just got fitted for a Hawley after wearing an essex on tops only for one year. I slacked off a couple months after my braces were off 6mos, so he said there was some slight movement with my overbite.

Good to know these things can work.....Id hate of have to get back in braces again........ever!

downhillsnowskier

#5 Post by downhillsnowskier »

I had my second retainer adjustment today. Since the first adjustment, my top teeth have completely come into line. My bottom teeth have not yet and he put another bend in the wire and shaved off more acrylic. What I've noticed about this process is the teeth move relatively quickly, the pressure is what dissipates over time. I'm still wearing them both 24/7. In a few months this ortho has almost accomplished what invisalign people wanted to take almost a year to do. I was told invisalign costs $3k/yr, this has been done for under $100 so far. There's a lot of value in getting a second opinion and shopping around.

AlexJones

Re: Moving teeth with Hawleys

#6 Post by AlexJones »

downhillsnowskier wrote:Some people had asked about tooth movements with Hawleys so I figured I'd share my experience today. I had braces for 2 years, about 15 years ago, and over time the gap between my two top front teeth got a little bigger and the bottom front teeth started to corkscrew a little. Not a lot of movement, but just enough to be annoying. So today I saw an orthodontist where I now live, and he tightened up my hawleys, shaved some acrylic and did some tweaking, and they're a lot tighter but it looks like he's pulling things back into line already! He said wear them 24/7 for 6 weeks, then come back for a checkup/adjustment. Hope this helps!
How can one tighten the hawley's himself?

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

DON'T DO IT YOURSELF!!!

Take your retainers and your teeth to an ortho.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Clo

#8 Post by Clo »

Plus,

when adjusting it, it can break !
If your ortho breaks it, he will give you a new one.
If you break it, you'll need to buy a new one.