How to prepare for debanding?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Veruka_Salt

How to prepare for debanding?

#1 Post by Veruka_Salt »

Hi all,

I've read plenty of stories of what happens when the braces actually come off and am wondering if you lucky people would have any advice as to how to deal with the discomfort?

My removal is in 2 weeks (yay!) and I'm keen to make it as pleasant an experience as possible.

Duffle

#2 Post by Duffle »

Congratulations on being so close to your debanding date.

The discomfort doesn't last long and afterwards you'll look great so just grin and bear it. It's no worse than having a filling.

KittyW

#3 Post by KittyW »

Hi Veruka,

I wasn't prepared for my debanding at all...I went to the ortho because some brackets had popped off 3 weeks before my scheduled debanding. The ortho decided to deband me early!

To be perfectly honest, it didn't hurt a single bit...all of my brackets came off easily. The glue scraping was tedious and my jaw did ache from being held open so long, but my teeth felt fine! :) The woman who debanded me gave me 2 Motrin and I was good to go.

Congrats on your future naked smile!!!
Last edited by KittyW on Wed May 31, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

cookie

#4 Post by cookie »

Great question veruka-salt - I'm having my top arch debanded on Friday and I'm pretty aprehensive about it if truth be told. It's good to hear about other peoples' experiences :)
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Veruka_Salt

#5 Post by Veruka_Salt »

Thanks guys... it's just that I've got ceramics on the top and have read some horror stories about their removal. The idea of having my teeth wrenched does NOT appeal!

Luckily I've got metal on the bottom, hopefully they will come off easier.

Let me know how you go Cookie!

cookie

#6 Post by cookie »

Veruka_Salt wrote: Let me know how you go Cookie!
Will do! I have ceramics on top and metal on the bottom too - it's just my ceramics coming off tomorrow, and I'm a bit scared of the stories I've read about the brackets breaking when they try to take them off :shock:

spragers

#7 Post by spragers »

I had ceramics in front on both top and bottom. They all came off without any of them breaking, or any other complications.

Hope that helps :)

cookie

#8 Post by cookie »

That's good to read 2 hours before my appointment when the nerves are kicking in - thanks :D

Veruka_Salt

#9 Post by Veruka_Salt »

So... they're off! All in all it wasn't too bad. Like most people have said, the metal brackets popped off with no problem, while the ceramics were a little bit tougher. One of the ceramics had to be polished off - the ortho kept yanking on it but it wasn't going anywhere and I was in pain!

When I can upload some photos, I'll post them here so you can see the results.[/img]

johnnys_angel

#10 Post by johnnys_angel »

Congrats, Veruka!!!!!!! Happy to hear all is well-can't wait for those pictures :) When I got debanded, I didn't care if it hurt or not-I just couldn't stop smiling from the moment I walked into the office!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Veruka_Salt

#11 Post by Veruka_Salt »

So, I finally got around to getting some pictures up:

This was from a class 3 malocclusion with lower crowding. Here's to being brace-free! :D

Granola

#12 Post by Granola »

Veruka_Salt: Oh my goodness, you must be so happy with your new smile. Your teeth look fantastic! I'm glad to see what your retainer looks like (very subtle). Congrats!
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

kirst1583

#13 Post by kirst1583 »

Congratulations - that's a beautiful result.. you must be so pleased!
Just one quick question about your retainer. Does it just have the wire bit at the front, or some clear plastic over the top of the wire?
From the picture it looks like mine (with the clear plastic), but it's hard tell.

Veruka_Salt

#14 Post by Veruka_Salt »

Thanks everyone! I am really happy. :)

Kirst, it's just the wire over the front of my teeth - there is no additional plastic. And you will be pleased to hear that my speech is pretty much back to normal while wearing them - I'm happily attending meetings, answering the phone etc at work with no trouble.

KittyW

#15 Post by KittyW »

Veruka,

Wow! Your teeth look gorgeous!!! :D
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006