Bite feels off when I take my retainers out in the morning

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheProfessor

Bite feels off when I take my retainers out in the morning

#1 Post by TheProfessor »

Hi everyone,
I've had my braces off for just over 8 weeks. I have a permanent retainer on my lowers and I've had an Essix retainer on top since a week after debracing and a new Essix on the bottom since this Wednesday (as a backup for the permanent retainer). I wore the top retainer full time for 2 weeks and then switched to night only wear and now I also wear the lower retainer at night. Since the beginning, my bite feels really off when I take out the retainer in the morning--my right side feels like the teeth touch more than they should and the left side feels like the teeth don't touch. I'm worried that my TMJ is getting stressed overnight (my jaw is also clicky on the left side when I eat breakfast). Everything comes back together by the time I finish eating breakfast and my bite feels good for the rest of the day. I asked my ortho about this when I went in for a retainer check and he said it was normal since I'm biting on plastic all night and that his teeth do the same thing when he takes his retainers out in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem?
Cheers,
Prof
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

lmk

Re: Bite feels off when I take my retainers out in the morning

#2 Post by lmk »

I just had my braces removed last week and I also noticed my bite is "off" in the morning! And I only wear the essix to sleep since I have permanent upper and lower retainers. So, maybe it's common. Curious if others have the same thing.

lorsa

#3 Post by lorsa »

I got my braces off 7 weeks ago and am noticing the same thing!

For the first 6 weeks I wore my upper and lower Essix retainers 24/7, except while eating. After 6 weeks, I switched to just nighttime wear. When I take them out in the morning, my bite feels off on the right side. The #1 upper and lower teeth bang into each other when I close my bite, and the #2, 3 & 4 teeth feel like they "touch too much". After a few minutes they seem to "back off" and then my bite feels normal for the rest of the day.

I was going to ask my Ortho about it when I go in for my 3-month followup. It's reassuring to hear that others are experiencing the same thing. :D

xjoe28

#4 Post by xjoe28 »

About 18 months post-op double jaw surgery. Had a couple cavities filled and my clear retainer doesn't sit properly anymore. Orthos rescanned and made me a new one. Last night I slept with it for the first time, when I woke up this morning my bite felt really off to the point I panicked, and hear I am googling signs of relapse. Are you guys still wearing your retainer? Notice any signs of relapse?

lmk

#5 Post by lmk »

xjoe28 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:03 am About 18 months post-op double jaw surgery. Had a couple cavities filled and my clear retainer doesn't sit properly anymore. Orthos rescanned and made me a new one. Last night I slept with it for the first time, when I woke up this morning my bite felt really off to the point I panicked, and hear I am googling signs of relapse. Are you guys still wearing your retainer? Notice any signs of relapse?
Hi, I do still wear my retainer half the week and my bite still feels off in the morning. But it goes back to feeling normal after breakfast. I've had no relapse. How about you, does it feel normal after a while or does it stay that way all day? Maybe call the ortho since you just had the retainer made. Reason I say that, I had my first one redone because it didn't fit right.

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I don't understand why an orthodontist would tell someone to wear their retainer full time for only "such and such" weeks...
You've worn braces for years...a retainer is meant to be worn for life to retain teeth in their proper place. It sounds to me that maybe it is the inconsistent wear??? I could be wrong though as I am not an orthodontist.

Why not just ask the ortho if you can go back to full time wear? These are your teeth, your money, time and energy was spent to get a perfect smile so why not try to keep it? :)

Good luck everyone!

Braceface2015

#7 Post by Braceface2015 »

I also noticed this issue and thought it was because the essix retainer prevents teeth from touching when biting down, which makes the bite feel weird

lefortfort

#8 Post by lefortfort »

My entire bite and jaw feels uncomfortable and I can "crack" my jaw.

vampirefangs22

#9 Post by vampirefangs22 »

I also have Essix retainers and my bite also feels odd when I take them out to eat or brush my teeth.

Lower braces - Halloween 2019
Upper braces - January 9th, 2020
Debonded since May 4th, 2023

trifecta

#10 Post by trifecta »

Hi vampirefangsm, Glad to see that you are finally finished with your braces. I know you were getting frustrated toward the end.