Retainers after regular braces - invisalign possible?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rhrh

Retainers after regular braces - invisalign possible?

#1 Post by rhrh »

I'm jealous of my kid, we paid extra for her to get Invisalign and her braces journey was not that bad. I needed a lot of metal after orthognathic surgery.

My question is, now that I am in the full braces stage and all the metal is getting me down, is the retainer afterwards more like Invisalign, or do they use a metal & plastic retainer after full metal braces?

Not sure I really want to know :) but if there's a chance my retainer can be all plastic and no metal, I'm wondering if other people out there have experiences.

Thanks!!!

djspeece

Re: Retainers after regular braces - invisalign possible?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I opted for the Vivera retainer (from Invisalign) because I thought the plastic and metal one was just horrible. The thought of it in my mouth was a no-go and its appearance was disgusting to me. The Vivera was something like a $400 upcharge, which my orthodontist waived because of some issues with his staff trying to make a mold for me. He then had an instrument that was used to form the impression which did not require the usual goop in a tray, and the result was a perfectly fitting retainer. I got something like 4 sets. Once the retainers arrived he did some fine-tuning of the margins and so forth and I have not had a single issue over the past 6 years or so that I have been wearing them.
I'm not sure all orthodontists are qualified or licensed for the Vivera, so you'll need to check with your ortho. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying