If I don't wear the retainers on the bottom will the teeth move back? Please help - it's urgent

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NancyWTucker

If I don't wear the retainers on the bottom will the teeth move back? Please help - it's urgent

#1 Post by NancyWTucker »

I want to purposely reopen my premolar gap that were closed because the orthodontist has taken a piss at me and done this intentionally and removed my premolars. That premolars have caused me severe breathing issues will having no retainers in the bottom of my teeth move my teeth back into their original place?
None of the other other orthodontist want to fix this issue.

djspeece

Re: If I don't wear the retainers on the bottom will the teeth move back? Please help - it's urgent

#2 Post by djspeece »

I don't think you can predict how the teeth will move back if you stop wearing your retainers --i.e., no guarantee they will go back to their original positions.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

NancyWTucker

Re: If I don't wear the retainers on the bottom will the teeth move back? Please help - it's urgent

#3 Post by NancyWTucker »

djspeece wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:04 am I don't think you can predict how the teeth will move back if you stop wearing your retainers --i.e., no guarantee they will go back to their original positions.
I am going to just wear the top retainer and see if my tongue can push the lower teeth back to where they were. Sure the braces did fix the bleeding gums but they didn't fix the underlying root cause which is the bite issue. My uncle wanted me on mouth guard but because of the environment, which neither orthodontist take into account, they automatically blame it on genetics. I definitely don't want to go for jaw surgery because it's just making these people richer. Someone is playing god with the weather. I tend to snore more now since getting the premolars removed.
Last edited by NancyWTucker on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.