One month to go

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Speck

One month to go

#1 Post by Speck »

Howdy. The day braces will be removed is just around the corner. My dentist recommended wire retainers at the last appointment as they will allow greater ease of dental treatment (e.g., bonding, etc.). My ortho says that wire-style reatiners (i.e., Hawleys) are massively uncomfortable. I'd like to hear members' opinions. BTW, I know the issues of conspicuity, durability, etc. when comparing the two.
-Andy

jem

Re: One month to go

#2 Post by jem »

i have bonded plus hawley. I only wear the latter at night so no problem re it being conspicuous. I also have essix, but I find the hawley more comfortable. The hawley is also very durable. I have had my current one for over 4 years. I would not expect an essix to last that long if worn regularly.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Speck

Re: One month to go

#3 Post by Speck »

Thank you, that's helpful.
-Andy