Why is my time in braces so short?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Crowded Mouth

Why is my time in braces so short?

#1 Post by Crowded Mouth »

I had crowding on uppers and lowers... this is straightening out now. Compared to others on this site my teeth looked worse however I was given an estimate of 9 months in braces and a fixed retainer indefinitely (I rarely see anyone on here with an estimate time less than 18 months). I have been in braces now for 4 months and they are not completely straight, there is definitely work still to do. My Ortho says that I might not be in braces as long as 9 months, possibly 7-8.

Is part of the brace treatment leaving the braces on for a while after the teeth have straightened out so that they can settle and not move?

I am concerned if the braces come off quickly the teeth might move and is the retainer strong enough to stop this. I would hate to have to go back and do this all again.

Age 35.

Kell

#2 Post by Kell »

I only have crowding and no bite problems. The estimate I was given is 6 months for the top teeth and 12 months for the lower. It been not quite 2 months so I don't know if those estimates will be extended or not.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Crowded Mouth

#3 Post by Crowded Mouth »

Thanks Weird Wired... I feel better now. I just couldnt understand why I was getting off so lightly.. haha.

I will relax and think myself lucky..

I am really starting to see a difference since the braces went on, my teeth seemed to get worse at first. I am lucky and I am glad that I did this.

Crowded Mouth

#4 Post by Crowded Mouth »

[quote="Crowded Mouth"]Thanks Weird Wired... quote]

Sorry I mean kk, I had just been reading posts by Weird Wired.. oopss

JumpTheDitch

Short Sentences

#5 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Hey Crowded Mouth, I have a fairly short sentence too; though not as lucky as 9mths, i'm looking at 14 mths (a compromise, the ortho wanted 2-2.5 yrs).

Mind you, my 14mth sentence is not for straightening or overcrowding; it's for a deep bite, overjet and to stop my front teeth wearing each other down to stumps!

We are here, us short-timers, I guess we just aren't here long enough to get established. Maybe it's cause we're lucky enough not to have to go through RPE and other torture devices that we're not really seen/heard all that much! My heart goes out to the long-termers, especially those with other appliances to deal with.

paw655

#6 Post by paw655 »

Crowded Mouth-

As usual, I'm taking the route less traveled...

I would definitely speak to the ortho about the treatment plan. In interviewing orthos I had one who said "oh, I can get you in and out of braces in 15 months" when all others were 24 minimum. In other words, orthos often ASSUME we want braces off as quickly as possible - I want them on as long as it take to get the job done right, and able to last. The short-term solution will probably give you straight teeth --- for a couple years, then they will revert back if the underlying problem wasn't solved. At least that has been my experience.

You might want to ask the ortho for a treatment plan breakdown, roughly by month, and the goals to be achieved. That way you may sure he is going for the same goals you are.

Braces are way to costly and labor-intensive an investment to do it halfway, even if you don't know the plan is a halfway plan.

Good luck.

weird_wired

#7 Post by weird_wired »

I was told 12 months for my uppers, 18 for my lowers. That's now been cut by possibly six months, so it may be that the wires come off at the same time (I do hope so!)

My dentist had orthodontic work from the same orthodontist at the shared surgey, and she only had to have it for six months.

Echo

#8 Post by Echo »

I was given a treatment time of 10 months. I am there now, but I'm not done yet. I have an appointment on April 4. They have not discussed removing them yet. My son, at his last appointment, was told that he will have one more adjustment (April 4) and then the next appointment would be debanding. So, since I was not told that, I am assuming I still have a little ways to go. My teeth weren't really crooked, I was mainly interested in changing my bite. I don't really care when I get them off, they don't bother me. I don't care much for the elastics, but I'm used to them now. I kind of like the braces, people are always mistaking me for being much younger than I am!
[/url]

SkyWolf

#9 Post by SkyWolf »

My ortho told me that the adjustment before my debanding he would take the molds and then when I go back in six weeks the braces would be removed. He said it was to allow them to settle a little before debanding. I figure he's the one with the degree I won't agree.