question about getting new stuff to close gaps faster

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Joanne

question about getting new stuff to close gaps faster

#1 Post by Joanne »

I had four extractions, upper and lower bicuspids, and they've been trying to close the gaps with powerchains, but the movement has been slow. At my next appointment I'm getting something new. I'm going to be getting something with rings in front and something in back that the orthodontist has to turn to "activate." The asst said I may want to take ibuprofen that day. The appointment will be about 1/2 hr long. Can you tell me more specifically what this is?
~Joanne

Joanne

additional hardware

#2 Post by Joanne »

Sorry I wasn't more specific. Someone told me they are "closing loops"?
~Joanne :)

Infamy

#3 Post by Infamy »

It's just a loop (or several) in the wire.
Formerly known as Jim

Dreamer

#4 Post by Dreamer »

Sounds like a closing loop wire. Right up above the gaps the wire goes up and then comes back down before it continues on around the other teeth, They take the end of the wire and use special pliers and pull the wire tight and into a loop on the ends. They won't be cutting the ends of your wires anymore but looping them and when they do that it pulls the wire extremely tight. I had it done 4 weeks ago for the first time and they are doing mine again Tuesday. I would definetely take some Ibuprofen or something. Mine hurt pretty bad that first day then it got better.
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley