Nightguards and Retainers

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Nightguards and Retainers

#1 Post by Chris »

Is it even possible to wear a nightguard (for teeth grinders) AND a Hawley retainer at the same time?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Chris, I wore a night guard for years on my top teeth. As Meryaten stated, it is thicker and designed for people who grind their teeth. Mine covered about the bottom third of my teeth and had a built up area at the front teeth that kept my back teeth from meeting (my lower front teeth rested on the built up area - and would slide on it if I was trying to grind my teeth). This allowed my jaw to relax at night which helped with the TMJ. It prevented the grinding and it acted as a retainer - as long as I wore it! I would wear it for years and then decide (who knows why) that I no longer needed it. Then my teeth would move and eventually stress would have me grinding again - back for a new mouth guard.

They are sturdy and can be used instead of and essix or Hawley. Probably what would happen in our cases is that we would wear a mouth guard on top and a Hawley on the bottom - if the orthodontist went that route. Mine is going with a bite positioner after the braces come off, so I suspect, that will be my night appliance, but I am not sure.

Since no doctor chimed in, I thought I would give you my experience...
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Thanks for your replies. I know I'll be getting the hawley so I just wondered if I could wear both. I wonder if I don't wear the hawley and just the mouth guard whether my teeth would move. I'll have to ask the doc.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Chris I would bring it up with your orthodontist. He/she can possibly have the night guard made instead of an Essix. If it cost you a few extra dollars, it would still be cheaper than paying full price for it on top of an Essix that you can't wear.

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

What do those nightguards feel like? I tried one from WalMart...did not fit my mouth and seemed so bulky. Do they feel bulky? I wondered about the NTI nightguard that just clips in the front teeth to prevent the backs from touching.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Attagirl2

#6 Post by Attagirl2 »

Mine was made of a solid clear material, similar to the Essix material. An impression was taken of my teeth and then it was sent to a lab which made the piece. It fit my upper teeth perfectly. The piece covered about a 1/4 of the front roof of my mouth and tappered off as it went around to the molars. All the upper teeth fit into it. As I said before the front part of the guard only covered about 1/3 of the teeth. The doctor then "tweeked" how my lower fronts touched the bite plan. If I recall correctly, my last one cost me and the insurance company $325. That was probably 12 years ago. (I threw it out when I got my braces. I wish now I had kept it so I could compare then and now). I didn't have any problems wearing it, in fact I felt funny when I didn't put it in at night. I also wore it for a week during my gum graft healing. It is a bit bulky for talking, but I was still able to speak without much difficulty.

Attagirl2

#7 Post by Attagirl2 »

Mine was made of a solid clear material, similar to the Essix material. An impression was taken of my teeth and then it was sent to a lab which made the piece. It fit my upper teeth perfectly. The piece covered about a 1/4 of the front roof of my mouth and tappered off as it went around to the molars. All the upper teeth fit into it. As I said before the front part of the guard only covered about 1/3 of the teeth. The doctor then "tweeked" how my lower fronts touched the bite plan. If I recall correctly, my last one cost me and the insurance company $325. That was probably 12 years ago. (I threw it out when I got my braces. I wish now I had kept it so I could compare then and now). I didn't have any problems wearing it, in fact I felt funny when I didn't put it in at night. I also wore it for a week during my gum graft healing. It is a bit bulky for talking, but I was still able to speak without much difficulty. It didn't feel as bulky as having a mouth full of braces!

As for the NTI, since it doesn't cover or contain the back teeth, those are left to move any way they want. I wouldn't get an NTI at least until your teeth are fully seated and your regular retainer wear is completed. The NTI wouldn't hold the arch from trying to return to it's original position either.