Invisilign type retainer

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cypressgirl

Invisilign type retainer

#1 Post by cypressgirl »

Hi,

I'm a couple years out of braces and many eons out of orthodontic insurance. I have a super horrible gag reflex that's gotten unbearable since my recent pregnancy morning sickness and hasn't gone away. My problem is that I couldn't wear my invisilign-type retainer for a number of months during the pregnancy. Now it still fits, but is just "off" enough (if I could tolerate it, it would be "on" again in 2 weeks) that I can't fall asleep with it anymore without gagging. Is it possible to cut off the back couple teeth myself so that at least I have something? Otherwise, I will be giving it up entirely. Any advise? The 5 minutes a night I wear it doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. :)

Cypressgirl

cypressgirl

#2 Post by cypressgirl »

Thanks Karen,
I'm sure a new one or an actual orthodontist would be a good idea, just faaaaaar down the list of things to afford both money and time-wise someday. I'm just wondering whether I should continue the nightly 5-minute attempts, give up, or take matters into my own hands. Any pros/cons of these choices?