Tooth shaping and braces

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NervousNelly

Tooth shaping and braces

#1 Post by NervousNelly »

Hello,
I hope someone can help me. I just got my braces on 8/18 and I'm a little confused. My ortho told me (at my consult) he had to do some "dental reprox" to my teeth to make room for my teeth to straighten out. When I went to have the braces put on he told me he wouldn't be doing that yet until "later". I was so nervous I never even asked him WHEN is later? (Plus its hard to talk with the lip expander stuffed in your mouth.) I was under the impression that I had to have the teeth reshaped to make room for the braces to do their job. So if you have any information on the procedure I would appreciate it. How can the teeth move if there isn't enough room? Also, is this painful? :?:
Thanks so much!
NervousNelly

ShinySmile

#2 Post by ShinySmile »

It's not painful at all...they just shave a little enamel off from between your teeth. I just got it done at my first adjustment.

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

:arrow:
Last edited by Chris on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

First of all, it doesn't hurt. Its like "sandpapering" between your teeth.
You hardly notice any space changes but the teeth do move.

Second, I'm sure there is enough room for tooth movement without shaving or he wouldn't delay it. Once they take off some of the teeth its gone so be glad he is being conservative. Be patient.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I had just a little bit done after 1 year. I think he needs to do more though, so my ortho is being conservative.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

Don't be nervous, it is a common procedure. It will happen at a later time in treatment when the space is necessary to align your teeth properly. They will use either a disc or a strip to create space. Most likely they will use the slow speed handpiece with a little wheel on it. They simply place it in between two teeth and let it fly. It is important to remove enamel at the proper point, but your ortho is highly trained and should know what they are doing :wink: No need to be concerned, just sit back and relax.

Regards,
Rory

~CanadianChick~

#7 Post by ~CanadianChick~ »

Oh yeah I had that done twice. Takes 2 seconds and ya can't feel one sweet thing. As Chris said its like sandpaper between your teeth!
~Braces Added Valentines Day 2006~