Retainer Preventing Teeth from Erupting

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Retainer Preventing Teeth from Erupting

#1 Post by Chris »

Ok, don't know if the "DOCS" are still reading this forum but I thought I would throw this one out there.

Can upper hawleys prevent the top teeth for erupting down while waiting to get my lower permanent teeth put in?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Chris,

I am not sure what you mean? The opposing dentition keeps teeth from supra-erupting. A Hawley can help maintain current tooth position. Is that what you meant?

Regards,
Rory

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I have two missing bottom molars and am awaiting my bridge to be put in after the braces come off. I wondered if the hawley would prevent the opposing top teeth from dropping down just like the braces have over this 2 year period.

I know that retainers keep the teeth positioned but do they also prevent them from moving downward if there is no opposing tooth?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

A Hawley appliance will keep the teeth from drifting laterally (mesially/distally) but will do nothing to prevent supraeruption. For that you would need an essex appliance or similar. Are you missing your mandibular second molars?

Regards,
Rory

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I am missing my lower 2 bicuspid and my 1st molar.
I have my 2nd molar still.

I was told to wait a while before getting the bridge fitting and I don't want the teeth to shift during that time.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007