Why ortho won't do extractions

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gbahena

Why ortho won't do extractions

#1 Post by gbahena »

I had braces started in June '06. My teeth are overcrowded and crooked. My ortho won't do extractions on me cause he says I'll have gum receeding problems later. Ortho says he'll file teeth to get space. Should I believe him or got to another ortho? I'm 34 and had 4 wisdom teeth removed when 27 - healed perfectly. I have strong teeth and never had a cavity.

Xero

#2 Post by Xero »

Try going to another ortho to get a second opinion.
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

I agree! That sounds like B**S*** to me too. Seek another oppinion!

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

sjsarre

#4 Post by sjsarre »

Hi

I would definately agree with the second opinion. But I would also contact your ortho and ask him to explain why he believes you will have receding gums after extractions.

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Second opinion sounds perfect to do, I seeked 3 opinions of different orthodontists and got 3 different results, the third one was a bit cheaper and I knew what he was talking about cause my general dentist told me I needed 4 extractions and the first two orthodontists told me extractions were not necessary well guess what it was necessary!

SDFD TSchott

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

If you get 5 consultations i'll bet you get 5 different treatment plans. Some will be similar and some will be very different. It all depends on the style. And there is nothing wrong with getting multiple opinions.

But the original comment by the ortho is possibly true. If you have a bone defect and extract a tooth this is a very real possibility. If you doubt the ortho's comment then you should ask them why they think there will be a recession problem and see what the alternatives are.

I am a firm believer in avoiding extractions at all costs (except 3rd molars, they usually cause problems down the road). But I have a much different opinion than many ortho's out there. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Rory

SDFD TSchott

#7 Post by SDFD TSchott »

rsprouse is right about 5 consultations you will get five different but some may be simalar treatment plans, you also may get five different quoted prices for treatment plans some may be expensive some may be cheap.

SDFD TSchott

NervousNelly

extractions

#8 Post by NervousNelly »

At my consult my ortho told my I didn't need extractions either. I was so relieved. He said he would shape my teeth by grinding them down a bit. This makes more room and saves healthy teeth. His opinion was why take out healthy teeth and then have problems because there is too much space. If I had known this I would have getten braces years ago. If it make you more comfortable, get a second opinion. But I agree. The more ortho's you speak with the more confused you may get about whats right for you. Good Luck! :)