Dr., extraction questions

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lilonething

Dr., extraction questions

#1 Post by lilonething »

I am looking into getting braces for the second time in my life. The first time was when I was 12 and I had two extractions on the top (2nd bicuspids I think). I had none on the bottom. I was too young to ask questions about why they only took from the top, but I think it was because I have a recessed lower jaw. Maybe the bottoms were left so that my lower jaw would not be back too far...it is noticable in my profile still but doesn't bother me much. At a recent consultation the dentist said he would need to extract two teeth from the bottom and that he would like to do the same from the top but won't because he likes to leave people with as many teeth as possible. He will use a disc to shave some off instead. This leaves me with two questions that I am afrraid to ask him and I hope you can help.
# 1 Why will all my teeth not fit this time, when they did last time? Yes, I have relapsed, but it was immediatly after I had the braces taken off because I refused to wear my retainer (bratty, phobic kid that I was). They were straight and beautiful at one time and they all fit. Could they not again? What are the risks associated with keeping them all?

#2 My overject (if that is the right word) is minimal right now. I think he said 2 1/2 mm. If two teeth are taken from the bottom and not the top, will this pull my lower teeth back, creating more space between the tops and bottoms. My bottom teeth are already a little flared outwards, any more flare would look rediculous. Would this likely happen?

Thanks for your time!