Crest Whitestrips

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jennifer

Crest Whitestrips

#1 Post by Jennifer »

I had my braces removed in May and since it is close to me getting veneers I needed to whiten my teeth. The dentist office gave me Crest Whitestrips Supreme. This is a 21 day kit and the strips are to be used twice a day for 30 mins a strip. Here is my question. Yesterday was my first day at using the strips. I never believed there could be so much pain. All day it felt like nerve ending were pulsating. I did not use the second strip out of fear . I put the strip on around 1:oclock and removed it at 1:30. The pain I felt slowly started to go away around 9:30 last night. Is this normal..... If I use them today will I feel the same pain or did my nerve endings get use to them?????? I bought this kit for $38.00 and hate to throw it away..... Really would like some advice on if the pain I felt was normal and should I continue to use the strips...... :Questions:

Xero

#2 Post by Xero »

I already answered this in your other thread.

The supreme version has 14% hydrogen peroxide.

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Jennifer,

The sensitivity that you are experiencing is considered normal. The whitening material (Hydrogen peroxide in the case of Crest) is absorbed through the enamel and enters in to the layer below called dentin. Dentin is millions of little tubules filled with water that have a straight shot to the pulp of the tooth (nerve). When you stop using the strips the sensitivity should diminish and disappear within 2-3 days.

Now if you want to continue treatment, I would recommend stopping and brushing with Sensodyne (or any other sensitivity toothpaste) for 2-3 weeks. Then start up with the strips again and you should see much better results. You can also take any OTC pain medication to help (Motrin works well but so should Ibuprofin or Tylenol). Just take it as directed on the label and it will help. It's the price you pay for beauty :D

Xero, FYI there are two professional strength versions of Crest White strips, 14% H2O2 and 6.5% H2O2. I believe that the consumer version is around 5.3% but am not sure. Jennifer is probably using the 14% version if she has symptoms, but some people suffer sensitivity from a smaller concentration of whitening material.

Regards,
Rory

Jennifer

Thanks for all the replies.

#4 Post by Jennifer »

I really appreciate all the replies. I wouldn't know what to do if I did not have this site to come to . It's funny how the people at the dentist office don't tell you what you are about to experience. I had also called the dentist office the next day and asked if the pain I was feeling was normal. The receptionist said she would talk to the dentist and get back to me. Sorry to say after 3 days I am still waiting for that call. If I wasn't going to be having the color of my teeth matched for my veneers as soon as I am done with the 21 days of whitening I can tell you there is no way I would go through this much pain. :cry: Sigh#### Thanks to all who replied and put my mind at ease. 17 days left of the whitening treatment. Yes I am counting down....Thanks again.
Jennifer
J.J