Accept compromise? Ortho says I can do halfway w/o surgery.

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vctorascrt

Accept compromise? Ortho says I can do halfway w/o surgery.

#1 Post by vctorascrt »

I just got my spacers today and am set to be braced next Tuesday. It will only cost me $2100, but I've chosen to accept a compromise. I have a maloclussion 1, with an open bite and crossbite. If I don't get teeth pulled or have jaw surgery, he said that my teeth will be straightened but my top teeth will not be pulled back (no room) and my crossbite may or may not be fixed. He is very vague about the whole process. I've had 6 consults, and they ranged from one not touching me without jaw surgery, one wanting to use a palate expander, one wanting to use "lots of rubberbands", and this guy who says I can accept the compromise. I really just want my front two teeth to have that "rounded" look, right now they go the opposite direction, and my bottom teeth have mild crowding. I also have crowns on two bottom teeth and am told that if I don't fix my crossbite, I may need to continue getting crowns on them in the upcoming years. What do ya'll think, is it smart to accept the compromise and go for straight teeth but still have my top teeth quite a bit forward of my bottom teeth? I can certainly change my mind and do jaw surgery later on, so I guess it's just a waiting game at this point. Has anybody else been in this situation?
Vicki

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

Didn't we already have this discussion on another thread?

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

vctorascrt

#3 Post by vctorascrt »

yes, I was hoping to get a response from a doctor. Thanks!

dr_burn

surgery or not

#4 Post by dr_burn »

Hello - hope this helps:
If you choose to compromise, be careful to ask your orthodontist if any part of his/her plan would prevent a surgical correction later on. Depending on the situation, you can make it nearly impossible to change your mind in the future about having the surgery.
It sounds like the ideal plan for you would be surgical, and if you and your orthodontist feel that you could stand to benefit functionally and/or esthetically - you should still consider it if you are going to be in braces anyways. You only have to fix the open bite and crossbite if you want to, and it sounds like you have been informed what will happen if you dont. Think about it and talk to your orthodontist.
Dr. Burn, orthodontic graduate student

vctorascrt

#5 Post by vctorascrt »

That is excellent advice. Thank you!!
Vicki

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Hey, do we have a new Ortho on the Forum...?

DR BURN? :D :D :D :D
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007