orthodontics/oral surgery

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

justaladyfromnc

orthodontics/oral surgery

#1 Post by justaladyfromnc »

hello! I have minor ortho problems (I was also one of those "too cool" kids who stopped wearing her retainer in high school, and have slightly crooked teeth now due to the lack of retainer use and the pressure of my wisdom teeth on the rest of my teeth). I have since removed my three wisdom teeth, and also have removed a baby tooth which never had an adult tooth. I will be getting a dental implant in the next few months, but also wish to resume ortho treatment in the next couple of years. Will that be possible with a dental implant? Is there any risk of the implant falling out? it is the first molar on my left side. I am a 22-year old, healthy female. Thanks!

DrJeffOrtho

#2 Post by DrJeffOrtho »

you can definitely have treatment with an implant in place, and no risk in losing it. however, it would be wise to have your orthodontist and your surgeon/general dentist work together & design your ortho treatment so that you are sure the implant will be in the right place. you cannot move the implant once it has been placed - it does not move like natural teeth.