Why don't ceramic brackets have rounded corners?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

edinburger

Why don't ceramic brackets have rounded corners?

#1 Post by edinburger »

Hi, this is my first post. I got my ceramic uppers last week and will get ceramic lowers in early August. I find myself surprised that my ceramic brackets have sharp corners so I was wondering why they aren't manufactured with rounded corners? This would surely be more pleasant for the patient but would it also somehow weaken the brackets or make them harder for orthodontists to work with?

edinburger

#2 Post by edinburger »

Interesting - thanks KK, I will ask my ortho what brand he's using. I expect rounded corners would not only be less irritating but would also be less prone to food getting stuck.

jenfire

#3 Post by jenfire »

I just have my lower ceramic braces on at this point, but I think all the edges are rounded on them. They haven't caused any pain. Maybe it is something about the brand.
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Kiwi Said:
It depends on the brand of the bracket, as to the shape
I agree with kk (as I so often do! :dance: ) It's a brand thing. I have Opals (self ligating ceramics) and they are VERY smooth. Not a sharp edge anywhere.

Here's a close up: Image
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Aine

#5 Post by Aine »

I have ceramic uppers also and 2 of the brackets have sharp corners.....I got elastics 8 weeks ago, a simple top to bottom configuation on each side..and guess what....the elastics attach to the sharp corners, so they are basically invisible hooks!!