wire kink moving teeth down

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SkyWolf

wire kink moving teeth down

#1 Post by SkyWolf »

I have been in powerchain since Feburary and last adjustment they finally moved me up to a solid powerchain. The doctor also put a kink in my archwire and I didn't know what it was for. When I looked in the mirror a few nights later I realized that the left side of my mouth the brackets almost touched but on the right side there was a visible about of space between the brackets on the top and bottom. When I looked last night the teeth had moved down a great deal and were now almost touching. My question is did that one little kink do all of that work or am I just imagining things? I only have a 12-18 month estimated time in braces and I'm into my 7th month now. If anyone could please answer this for me. I'd be very grateful.

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

Yes, that kink did that. My ortho did the same to my front incisors. In fact, it seems to me that now that the tooth has moved down, he is going to have to reposition the bracket at some point to make for an even archwire. I have never seen anyone heading into the last part of their treatment with a lopsided bracket (it wasn't originally...the kink in the wire did that) and a crooked archwire.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

SkyWolf

#3 Post by SkyWolf »

Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. When he did it I was horrified I thought I was close to being down top wise at least as the only problem I had ever seen was my one canine was set back slightly. Now they all look almost perfect and I'm hoping for good news next time. The canine on the opposite side still needs to come down some but I know it will. Thank you again.

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

Had the same "kink" here. The top teeth move down quickly, but bottom teeth having to go UP don't seem to for me. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

dr_burn

#5 Post by dr_burn »

the brackets dont always do everything
orthodontists are trained to make tiny bends in the wires to get things into position in many cases.

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

I have a step up in the archwire that goes directly into 1st molar bracket. My 2nd molar is not bracketed at all. I can't see how that uplift will make the 1st molar come up unless the archwire goes to the 2nd molar for support :? So far nothing is happening.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

fins

#7 Post by fins »

Chris-
I have a step down which covers two teeth before the first molar and I can't really see the teeth moving down but I think they are since the teeth are closing up the bite. I think it can be very subtle when trying to find the movement taking place. I think that I will probably get a new archwire at some point after the teeth are moved down enough.

I think you posted about moving teeth up from the lower arch and I can say mine moved up dramatically. I couldn't believe how much more "tooth" was exposed on my front lower arch. They look twice the size they did before.

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

Chris-
I have a step down which covers two teeth before the first molar and I can't really see the teeth moving down but I think they are since the teeth are closing up the bite. I think it can be very subtle when trying to find the movement taking place. I think that I will probably get a new archwire at some point after the teeth are moved down enough.

I think you posted about moving teeth up from the lower arch and I can say mine moved up dramatically. I couldn't believe how much more "tooth" was exposed on my front lower arch. They look twice the size they did before.
I wish mine would move, it would make for a closer back bite if that ONE TOOTH would just move UP! The kink in a top tooth on the opposite side has moved the tooth DOWNWARDS really quick, but it seems the upward movement is not working on this tooth.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007