Underbite/Crossbite corrected non-surgically?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

steak

Underbite/Crossbite corrected non-surgically?

#1 Post by steak »

Hello, I have been trying to correct a class III underbite for about a year now. Hopefully I can get some more opinions from experts on the subject. To help, I will also share the opinions of the orthodontists and oral surgeons that I have consulted with.

Last year at the age of 20, my family dentist brought up that my bite was "funky" and that I should seek an orthodontist. My front teeth meet directly on top of my bottom teeth, but I have to push my lower jaw out if I want to eat or connect my teeth.

I sought two opinions: The first told me that he *might* be able to push the lower-jaw back but that I would most likely need corrective jaw surgery. The second orthodontist was a little more helpful, she explained that I had a class III underbite/crossbite and that my upper jaw was smaller than my lower jaw, which could only be corrected surgically.

Armed with this information, I met with two oral surgeons. The first said that if I needed surgery, my deformity was mild and that a quick procedure shortening the lower jaw would be required if I chose to correct it. The second oral surgeon's opinion was that oral surgery was really only done when there was a skeletal deformity present and that my problem was not severe enough to warrant surgery. He referred me to an orthodontist and now I am back to square one.

As you can see, I am at a crossroads here. The two Orthodontists sent me away and the two oral surgeons really seemed reluctant about the idea of surgery.

Other than having an unattractive smile, the problem does not pose any other discomforts. My question is, based on this information, do you believe that a relatively minor underbite can be corrected with orthodontics or should I abandon this idea and pursue oral surgery more aggressively?

Thanks! Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

pinky

Hi

#2 Post by pinky »

[img][/img]

CLAmom

#3 Post by CLAmom »

I hope that the doc will reply to you on this, but I can add my 2 cents worth. I have a class III as well & before braces, my uppers would hit right on top of my lowers as you describe. I would have to maneuver (I hardly remember how) to grind up food with my molars. After years and years of putting off doing something about this I went to an oral surgeon. I assumed that I would have to have surgery and I was scared but I also found out I was grinding my teeth down and in danger of losing teeth before I hit 50! The oral surgeon explained what the process would be to move my lower jaw back but insisted I first see an orthodontist since I would need braces to align my teeth before any type of surgery would be done anyway. He did not take xrays, this was all just based on a brief exam. Next I visited an ortho in my area who had been written up in a local magazine as one of the best in this area for a couple years in a row. He examined me, had me bite down several times, & did the 360 deg. xray. After reviewing that he said the magic words. "I give you a 90% chance that your bite can be fixed with braces alone." I could have fallen over on the floor. I actually started crying a little bit because I was so happy. Now, mind you I still may have to have surgery but right now I have ceramic braces top & bottom and am very hopeful this is all I need. I've made some good progress in the last 4 months. Within 2-3 weeks my top central incisors started to overlap the lowers. I went through a long annoying period where my canines were hitting end to end--it was awful. Now with a lower powerchain in place the upper canines are beginning to overlap the lowers. It feels weird but I like what I see in the mirror. Currently none of my molars are touching so there is much work to do in the months to come. I just wanted you to know that there is the possibility of correcting this without surgery. I can't tell you for sure if this will work in your case but it's definitely worth asking about before you decide what to do next. Many people on this message board have had the surgery and have had terrific results, too. If you can stand it, maybe you could get one more ortho opinion. Best of luck to you.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

steak

#4 Post by steak »

It's been a while, but thank you for the replies. CLAMom, can I get an update on how you are doing?

Anyways, like I stated before I have a class III underbite/crossbite. Basically, my lower jaw develped normally but the upper jaw is slightly under-developed. I saw the ortho that the one oral surgeon referred me to and he said that he can give me a 95% success rate with braces. He wants to do braces with a palate expander. He doesn't think that the "deformity" has affected my soft tissue features much so I can most likely avoid the surgery as braces alone cannot change jaw structure. i should be getting them on within the next month or so.

CLAmom

#5 Post by CLAmom »

Sure, here's an update. At just over 5 months, all of my top front teeth are slightly overlapping the bottoms and the last molar on the right top meets the one on the bottom. The left side is completely open yet but this is pretty great progress as far as I'm concerned. If I bite down really hard my front teeth actually hit the brackets on the bottom teeth so I'm almost (but not quite) ready to call this an overbite! Clearly I have a long way to go yet but I'm very encouraged by what has been accomplished so far. No mention of elastics yet from my ortho but they will be coming once my teeth are straighter. I have one upper tooth that needs to rotate but there's not much room up there.

Since you are pretty young my guess is you'll have a dramatic improvement with the expander. Sounds like you got some great news from this ortho. I wish you the best of luck & I hope to hear how things progress when you get your braces on.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

I'd like to add my 20c here.

I started out with an underbite (front teeth hitting each other rather than overlapping), cross bite, mild overcrowding in upper arch, and lateral open bite.

I was given the option of braces alone with 80-100% succesful outcome. I chose that ahead of surgery (100% outcome, but lots of $$$ and downtime).

I'm 6 months into treatment and my uppers are overlapping my lowers completely on one side and partially on the other. The most difficult thing for my ortho will be to close my bite. We're currently working on that with elastics. After a week with elastics, some of my premolars are just touching (first time ever) but there is a long way to go yet.

steak

#7 Post by steak »

Thank you all for sharing, I wish you guys the best of luck in your treatments.

Gas Panic!

#8 Post by Gas Panic! »

Hi steak and others,

I too have an underbite and slight crossbite problem. I have just been braced this week.

Initially, I went to the orthodontist who was recommended by my family dentist - he took an x-ray and said 2 years in braces with jaw surgery. Obviously I freaked out a little (hadn't thought of surgery!).

Eventually went to another orthodontist who had been recommended to me (who was much more friendly than the first) who said that "some orthodontists would recommend jaw surgery, but I think that's drastic" and told me I would need braces to correct the problem and straighten my top teeth for 12 months. One of my middle teeth at the top was sitting behind the bottoms ever so slightly, the other sitting on top. Plenty of wear going on there.

So in the end, I went with the nice guy who I was recommended, who I trust a hell of alot more than the other one. He says I will only need braces and 12 months *should* be the worst case scenario. Perhaps the result won't as perfect as it would have been with surgery, but I'll never know.

I went with the seemingly easier and cheaper option, but most importantly I went with the orthodontist whom I felt most comfortable with.

Good luck with your decision.

steak

#9 Post by steak »

Thank you for the response. I had X-Rays done and have a consultation in two weeks, so I'll know more about my treatment then. Correction in twelve months? That's really great, the initial diagnosis for me is 30 months but I hope it ends up being shorter!

Anyways, I'll be starting up a journal within the next few weeks which hopefully may prove to be informative.