Receding Gumline

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DrunkPanda

Receding Gumline

#1 Post by DrunkPanda »

My gums have been receding considerably but I don't know why. My dentist couldn't come up with any explanations either. After looking online, I think I have periodentitis. The symptoms I have are that my two upper front teeth and two lower front teeth feel loose and my upper gums are red (although my lower gums are more pink), although I don't think my gums are separating from my teeth, i don't see any room between them. The gums are receding from all of my teeth though, not just my front teeth. I also have bad breath that I can't get rid of for more than a few hours. I am 19 years old but I don't know if my age is relevant. Do you think I have periodentitis?
What should I do about this? My dentist's only ideas were that I was either on drugs, or gritting my teeth while I'm asleep. Do you think he might be an incompetent dentist? He said that if my gums get much worse, he will have to put fillings in my teeth, which doesn't sound like a correct solution to me.
I also think there is something in Crest products that is damaging my mouth for some reason. I tried using the toothpaste that had the breathstrips in it, after about a week my teeth became very sensitive and i think my gums were receding as well. I also recently bought the Crest mouthwash and after a few uses, my gums have receded more and my mouth feels strange. Is it possible that I have some harmful reaction to one or more of the ingredients that Crest uses in their products?
I have also heard conflicting reports on whether gum tissue can regenerate on its own, do you know the answer to this question and why I have seen exact opposite answers to the question?

DrunkPanda

#2 Post by DrunkPanda »

i just did a little more research and i'm about 90% sure i have periodentitis (even though my teeth didn't feel lose until after i used the crest mouthwash which worsened my condition). what was the surgery like and how much did it cost? and how serious does it have to be for them to just remove the tooth?

DrunkPanda

#3 Post by DrunkPanda »

that was $2800 after the insurance? and can you describe what your tooth looked like that had to be pulled?

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

You should really see a periodontist. It would be best if a professional steered you to the correct products and treatment.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!