Crossbite Elastics Question

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ASUDEVIL23

Crossbite Elastics Question

#1 Post by ASUDEVIL23 »

What is the exact purpose of having a rubberband going from the #6 to #22? It basically crosses over the front of my mouth, making it extremely difficult to speak and I've been told to wear it 24/7 although my job would probably mean I can only wear it at night and when I am at home/driving home. I have to speak to clients all the time and I told this to my ortho asst. She recommended that I wear them whenever possible for a "cross bite." This is kind of an embarrassing elastic arrangement, do you think the nightly/driving routine would be effective?

sangel

just 6 to 22?

#2 Post by sangel »

Hi there,

I think you are fine compare to me. I have the "spaghetti" setup..which mean elastics up down in the whole front teath. 6 to 22 and 11 to 27 plus another 6 elastics !!!
It is painful and I cannot talk. I cannot wear them all day.. just a few hours a day and definately not during sleeping. I'm 30 and with my job I cannot wear them at work.
my question is if 3-4 hours per day will do the work.

I'm at the last phase of my treatment and everything depends on the work of the elastics in regards to when I'm taking them off.

DrJeffOrtho

#3 Post by DrJeffOrtho »

These elastics are intended to correct a difference in the upper and lower mid-lines. Wearing them less than about 20 hrs/day will be ineffective.