Speech problems

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bambulka

Speech problems

#1 Post by bambulka »

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me.

My top teeth started moving forward about 4 years ago (before they were perfectly aligned) and now I have 9mm overbite on my teeth (so my ortho tells me). I would like to have the overbite sorted but another problem I have been experiencing for the past 10 months or so is a speech problem. I sometimes find it difficult to pronunce certain words. It's as though talking is no longer effortless. Strange thing is that noone has noticed it but I feel as though I am not pronuncing some words properly. Is this normal? Could this be because of the overbite? I went to see orthodontist and he said this could be because my tongue is no longer in the correct position - could this be right? I am only asking as he did not seem to be that convincing. Can people really experience speech problems because of their teeth movement? I should also say that the speech problem is NOT a lisp, it's more like I have problems with the words that have Y in them (for instance the word anyway) or sometimes words with N or T in them.

The main reason why I want to get my teeth sorted now is because of the speech problem as the overbite is not really bothering me that much but I am not sure if the overbite is causing the speech problem and I don't want to spend a lot of money on braces if that's not the cause of the problem! Any comments would be greatly appreciated as this is really getting me down sometimes.
Many thanks

Henna_the_braceface

#2 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I couldn't say my S's properly when I first got my braces on.