How will they put braces on bottom if my 3rd molar on each .

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

How will they put braces on bottom if my 3rd molar on each .

#1 Post by Gennel »

Well first let me say that I havent even gotten my braces yet. I'm in my 30's and have finally made up my mind and gotten a loan to get braces. My main fear is for my lower teeth. When I went many yrs ago the orthodontist told me I needed to extract two upper molars and two bottom molars. My question is this: My bottom third molar on each side are very badly damaged and also have to be extracted. So I will only have my bottom second molars and two way in the back. My fear is where are they going to put the first bracket on my molar? I will have a gap where my bottom third molars are. Honestly that doesnt bother me. I just wonder if the braces can be put on my bottom second molars to at least straighten my bottom six front teeth. I have been stressing over this so much that I know have insomnia for about 2 weeks. I will get my loan check within 2 days and will set up the ortho appt for this week if possible.
My fear is really not of needles.I've had two kids with one being a c-section so I know pain! My phobia is more of embaressment. But I am going through with it since my daughter is getting braces as well ,this will be support for both of us.

Any opinions as to what might happen?Below is a picture.My molars that have to be removed are number 19 and 30 . Plus they have to extract number 28 and 21 .
http://www.boneclones.com/images/ko-164-set_web-SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.jpg

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

I used photoshop to highlight exactly which lower molars need to be removed so you can get a clear idea ofwhat I mean as far as where the brackets will go if my third molars are missing?

Gennel

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

Sorry, i understand what you mean now .

It is very usual to have premolars removed for braces, i had all four of my second premolars removed for my braces, my extraction gaps are closing well and im not too worried it will look strange.

As for removing the molars on the lowers it should be ok because they can pull your other two molars forward to make it look normal, many people only have 2 molars in each quadrant anyway due to wisdom tooth problems.

Overall i am missing 9 teeth, 4 wisdoms, 4 premolars and 1 other tooth i had puled but im not too sure where it came from.

Good luck

momof2grlz

#4 Post by momof2grlz »

I think your ortho can work around extractions, but before you commit to removing #21 and #28 to make room, check with your dentist about removing #19 and #30 because of the damage to them. If you remove 19 and 30, you probably wouldn't have to also remove 21 and 28. That way, you would be removing 2 upper and 2 lower, but it would be different teeth. If you can't use the gaps from removing 19 and 30 for space (and they still had to be removed), you'd probably have to replace them with implants or a bridge so your bite would be correct. Just a thought.

I'm missing 19. It does make anchoring elastics a little more difficult when you're missing a molar, but a good ortho can deal with it.

Good luck.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Gennel

#5 Post by Gennel »

I just did something I never dared to do in my whole life. I took out my digital camera and took closeups of my top teeth ,lower and front view.
As you can probably see in the lower teeth when you look toward the back . The third molar on each bottom are barely visible because half of them fell off during pregnancy many years ago. I did NOT want to take prenatal vitamins and my OB warned me about needing extra calcium. Well I did not take them for about 5-6 months . By my 6th month half of my molar came off and so did the other one! I will deffinately ask the ortho if they remove the third molar on each side on the bottom teeth ,if this is enough and I wont need 4 bottom molars removed and two top molars removed as well.
Ok here are my scary photos. I can't wait to get this fear over with and finally have my braces on. The rest is a downhill battle for me!