Tinnitus and Orthodontics?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candygrrrl

Tinnitus and Orthodontics?

#1 Post by candygrrrl »

In the past couple weeks, I've noticed a very low ring in my right ear that rings steadily for a second or two, stops, then starts ringing again. I don't hear it during the day, only at night if I don't fall asleep quickly enough and in the early a.m.s, just after waking.

Could the movement of teeth and/or bone be responsible for this sudden onset of tinnitus? I'm asking my doc during my regular appointment at the end of the month, but was wondering curuious if anyone else is experiencing or has experienced this.

Thanks!
Candy

texasangel

#2 Post by texasangel »

candygrrrl,

I have had ringing in my ears since June of last year. I got my braces in January of last year. I have gone to an ear,nose,throat doctor and she did tests and looked in my ears and I didn't have any wax buildup.
She didn't know if it was associated with the braces or not, so I think I will go to a dentist that specializes in TMJ. It's driving me crazy !! :x
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

candygrrrl

#3 Post by candygrrrl »

Yes, it's very disconcerting! I don't have it during the day, but boy, if I stay awake too long before falling asleep, or wake up in the middle of the night, that's it. I have to really battle to ignore it and go to sleep.

I've got a call into my ortho to see what she says. Of course, it's not on the list of "side effects" they gave me, so I'm sure they'll just shrug and say, "could be."

Daveyboy

#4 Post by Daveyboy »

Hi guys,

This sounds very much like TMJ. I have had many problems since I was 16 with headaches, and mainly ear stuffiness/ringing. If you read up about TMJ, it seems most likely that any tinnitus you are experiencing is a result of the braces being on there. putting strain on your jaw and jaw muscles. It is most likely that this will dissappear as soon as you are finished treatment so I wouldn't worry too much.

In fact, i'm getting braced soon (with possible lower jwa surgery) partly to straighten my teeth, and partly to hopefully help my TMJ.

Good luck with it all!

Dave

karamon

Ear Ringing

#5 Post by karamon »

It's funny I found this thread...I'm having a Sinus CAT scan on Thursday because for the past month I've felt pressure in my left ear and a wet sensation...and now I think I'm starting to feel it on other side after wire was changed last week. 2 ENTs think I'm nuts, but maybe it has to do with the braces moving the jaw bones. Don't have TMJ both docs and ortho checked me. Hopefully it's just connected to the braces and nothing else. I am nervous about CT scan but now feel slightly better because maybe it just is related to braces.

Karin

Braced 2/23 Opals top 6 / Damon 3s rest.

texasangel

#6 Post by texasangel »

Oh Daveyboy, I hope you are right about it going away after getting braces off. That would be soooo wonderful. It's driving me nuts !
I am getting debraced on May 31st, so we'll see if it does go away in time. Thanks.
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!