Bite/Elastics Question

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

frozenxfjords

Bite/Elastics Question

#1 Post by frozenxfjords »

I've had my braces on for 22 months..I was initially supposed to have them for about 24 months, and I'm pretty sure they're coming off soon as my orthodontist gave me a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth this past Monday.

How long is the average length of time for someone to need to use elastics? Or does it just depend on the person?

I've had mine for over a year (maybe a year and a half) and I'm just wondering if this is at all strange.

The problems with my teeth were mainly crowding and a bad overbite. I had 4 extractions (upper and lower first cuspids on both sides) done before having my braces installed and I assumed that once those spaces closed up I wouldn't need the elastics. The spaces closed at least a year ago and I still have the elastics.

I wouldn't care about the elastics if I didn't think they were causing any problems.

Lately (last 3 or 4 months or so) I've been finding myself with my mouth closed with my top front teeth sitting behind my front bottom teeth, even though when I close my mouth with my molars properly aligned (the way you're supposed to close your mouth/teeth) my bite is perfectly the way it should be with my top teeth slightly in front of the lower ones. I often wake up from sleeping with my teeth the wrong way and sometimes I just do it without noticing while on the computer or watching tv.
I don't know if this makes any sense, but I think this is happening because of the way my elastics are..they go from the third tooth on the top to the second to last molar on the bottom, and I think I keep moving my teeth in this weird way because of the pull from the elastics.
I don't even know if this is anything to worry about. It's really just something I find odd..it doesn't hurt my teeth or anything. Should I just try not to pay attention to the problem and shut my mouth the correct way when I notice it and just wait until I no longer wear elastics or braces for the problem to fix itself?

Sorry for being so long-winded and confusing in my descriptions, and thanks in advance to anyone who can provide me with any sort of explanation!

-alison
Alison

Clo

#2 Post by Clo »

Hi Alison,

I do the very same thing all the time !!
But then my class 2 elastics are so heavy I feel like my jaw is so tired all
the time. So in a way I let my lower jaw come forward, so it seems like
I have an underbite. One difference with you though, no matter how I try
to bite, I never find a good occlusion. This worries me too, since I am
wearing braces for nearly 2 years now. And I have elastics for about 18
months. Sorry that I can not give more explanations, only that we seem
to be in the same boat. You described it very well. Whenever I do not
think about it, my jaw goes forward. If you take out your elastics for say
1 hour, and you feel you can bite the normal way without thinking about it,
then I think it is quite harmless ... so I hope.

I would love to see how this evolves in your case.
Good luck !

frozenxfjords

#3 Post by frozenxfjords »

It's good to see I'm not the only one with this problem.
I did a little experiment last night..I didn't wear my elastics to sleep..and viola I didn't wake up with my teeth all closed the wrong way. lol. I guess I should've tried that before making this post. I really do believe it's from the pull of the elastics now. I hope all this just stops by itself once I'm done with the elastics..or braces as I will be very shortly.

Good luck with your bite, too! Hopefully both our problems with these pesky elastics will stop soon.
Alison

Clo

#4 Post by Clo »

Ssssttt, do not spread the news you did not wear your elastics a whole
night. Your ortho may know ...
No, I am joking. Anyway, I am glad you posted this. That is why I like
this forum soo much. Whatever issue one has, there are always others
here who have the exact same experience.

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Clo wrote:Ssssttt, do not spread the news you did not wear your elastics a whole
night. Your ortho may know ...
No, I am joking. Anyway, I am glad you posted this. That is why I like
this forum soo much. Whatever issue one has, there are always others
here who have the exact same experience.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

missingu

#6 Post by missingu »

Regarding time wearing elastics - my estimate was 20-24 months, and the ortho wants to start elastics at the third adjustment, and I will be in them (in varying configurations and strengths) until the end of treatment. I'm figuring that means at least 18 months in elastics, but I have an underbite, which may confound matters.

weird_wired

#7 Post by weird_wired »

Clo wrote: But then my class 2 elastics are so heavy I feel like my jaw is so tired all
the time. So in a way I let my lower jaw come forward, so it seems like
I have an underbite.
Wow - that's just what I used to do when I had my heaviest configuration on! It was mainly just at nighttime, but it was so hard to sleep with the jaw getting tired trying to stop the teeth clashing together! Putting the lower jaw forward did bring some relief.

dkb2715

Elastics

#8 Post by dkb2715 »

Should I be concerned I have had my braces for 8 months now and have not been given any elsatics? :D
Hoping...Waiting...to be brace free