New in the UK - another one!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mel-UK

New in the UK - another one!

#1 Post by Mel-UK »

Hi

I've been umming and arring about getting braces for a few years... My top teeth have been bashing my lower teeth, because there is no room. I've also got quite a bit of TMJ, which I'm hoping will get a bit better with the braces. I had a retainer and some brackets as a kid on my top teeth, all moved back cos my ortho at the time didn't tell me to keep wearing the retainer, but nothing ever done to the bottom - so full braces is a new thing. The plan is that if I can cope with the top I'm going to get braces on the bottom in 2 months time.

I've gone for Damon3, because that's what my ortho recommended as being faster and less painful. I do however think they look horrible - but this is my first day... my mantra is 'keep calm, don't panic'. As others here have said you hardly ever see adults in the UK with braces... so it's going to be odd, and I'm also in my thirties so even odder still.

I wanted to say thanks for this website, which has been so useful in helping me decide to go ahead and get the braces.
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

Mel-UK

#2 Post by Mel-UK »

Thanks Lucy and Karen,

It was great reading all the messages on these boards yesterday. I ended up rinsing with salt water...':shock:' which my Ortho didn't tell me to do. I also put some wax on the back teeth - I thought that seemed like a sensible thing to do... So far - no pain... I haven't tried eating any solids though... a boiled egg was as much solid as I could manage. How long does it take until I can think about eating solids? One of the most difficult things is going to be that I'm a snacker... and I can't snack unless I want to keep brushing my teeth, which just doesn't work':roll:'.

Also, thanks for the new mantra - it all helps (':)') still feeling quite unsure and vulnerable.
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

Mel-UK

#3 Post by Mel-UK »

Thanks Lucy, made me laugh, because I thought about the over eating thing this morning... like how much do I need to eat to justify the time it will take to brush my teeth...any machamticians out there? I feel like I'm giving up something and going through cold turkey (':crazy:')-(':wink:').

I think I'll forget you told me about not brushing teeth... at least for now!
Damon3 upper & lowers

Dodger(UK)

Re: New in the UK - another one!

#4 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Mel-UK wrote:As others here have said you hardly ever see adults in the UK with braces
I think we are slowly turning a corner in that respect, but it will take time. A collegue at work as decided to get braces, and she knew I had recently had them and the positive results they had given me. So hopefully with more of us testing the water and passing on our positive feedback, it can only encourage other's to go down the same route. ;)
I wanted to say thanks for this website, which has been so useful in helping me decide to go ahead and get the braces.
Yes, it's a very helpfull little piece of cyberspace this forum occupies ;) Certainly, my first port of call, when I was going through my ortho :) Welcome to MMMB btw!

Mel-UK

#5 Post by Mel-UK »

Thanks Dodger(UK),

Another influence in me going ahead was actually meeting a few people whilst out and about - they were all encouraging.

The website is good, great for answering questions most things seem to have been covered. I couldn't floss yesterday the spaces seemed to tight and then i read here that you should just be brave and do it and hey presto no trouble today... although it does take ages.
Damon3 upper & lowers

Mel-UK

#6 Post by Mel-UK »

Yes my ortho's assistant the one with the braces told me about it and I found it at my local supermarket - was very impressed they had it.
I also have the TePe things (yes pink) - I'd never seen them before - I got a 'goody bag' when I left the Ortho's office - don't know if that is normal, but I thought it was very good. Only thing is that if I use it on my back tooth it feels like there might be a cavity, even though I had a check up last week - a bit worried/annoyed about that.

Also, do you use a waterpik - I've been reading here that some people do.
Thanks Mel
Damon3 upper & lowers

snowbunny

#7 Post by snowbunny »

Welcome to the club Mel! I'm in my forties so you needn't feel an oldie around here!
I got an interdental brush and a pot of wax. No goody bag!
Good luck!
Upper metals on 10th Feb 2006
Estimated treatment time 9-12 months

snowbunny

#8 Post by snowbunny »

Welcome to the club Mel! I'm in my forties so you needn't feel an oldie around here!
I got an interdental brush and a pot of wax. No goody bag!
Good luck!
Upper metals on 10th Feb 2006
Estimated treatment time 9-12 months

Mel-UK

#9 Post by Mel-UK »

hi Lucy,

Can I ask what the waterpik is called - I looked on the internet, but it was hard to find UK sites. I'll check Argos. That's great you are having the treatment on the NHS. I don't even have an NHS dentist anymore.... The goody bag was good... it had everything except the Superfloss (they had run out) and toothpaste... but I'm paying a lot... I don't like to think about it (':roll:')...

I saw some friends today... they were very kind about the braces... I felt very self-conscious... but I guess that gets easier.

Snowbunny,
Hi there, thank you! Are you just having your top teeth braced? We started pretty much at the same time.

Thanks for posts.
x Mel
Damon3 upper & lowers

Mel-UK

#10 Post by Mel-UK »

Thanks Lucy,

I found the Waterpik subject posts, so good info there. I checked a few sites and the Argos price seems pretty good so I'll get myself over to one at the weekend, thanks for that.

Having a very saw gum at the mo. Salt water and wax is helping, but it is tough...
Damon3 upper & lowers

Mel-UK

#11 Post by Mel-UK »

Thanks Lucy,

I found the Waterpik subject posts, so good info there. I checked a few sites and the Argos price seems pretty good so I'll get myself over to one at the weekend, thanks for that.

Having a very saw gum at the mo. Salt water and wax is helping, but it is tough...
Damon3 upper & lowers

Mel-UK

#12 Post by Mel-UK »

Hi there,

Yes, salt water is really amazing...

I haven't managed to get to Argos yet, thanks for the warning about it only being stocked in larger stores, I will ring before I go... I had planned on going today, but it's been such a grey, drizzly day, I couldn't face the shops.

I thought I'd give a short update - I've noticed today that if I have my mouth closed I can forget the braces are even there... that's in just under two weeks.... not bad. I still can't really chew though. I went out to dinner with friends the other day and I had noodles and tofu which I thought I would be ok - but the tofu was fried, so it was very chewy and therefore quite painful to eat ':ThumbsDown:'. Noodles and pasta are great though, as long as they are well cooked! ':thumbsup:'

I can tell my teeth have moved, although I'm not sure it's that visible to anyone else yet. I have one tooth that had moved back and slightly behind another tooth and now it's just back next to the tooth and not behind it anymore. On the other side another tooth has moved forward so it's now in line with the teeth on either side of it and it's quite satisfying to feel the straight line with my tongue, although this is just the start, as they all have to move much more forward.
x Mel
Damon3 upper & lowers

ajhuggie

#13 Post by ajhuggie »

Hi Mel

Great to see a fellow uk brace wearer. I also have damon 3 braces on uppers and lowers, the lowers tend to rub a bit more than the uppers. There don't appear to be that many damon 3 wearers on the message board so it would be really good to share experiences. I have only had mine for 5 weeks, and am already seeing good movement; my first adjustment isn't for another 3 weeks.

BTW I bought a waterpik from boots today - the bathroom reveived a minor soaking!

Mel-UK

#14 Post by Mel-UK »

Hi there Lucy and ajhuggie,

Bought the waterpik, from Boots (as well) in the end, I saw it by chance and it was the same price. I've had a hysterical time so far trying to use it, I'm very good at panicking when I need to turn it off and water just going everywhere :oops:.

ajhuggie - Sounds like we started at the same time, interesting to hear about the Damon 3's - I get my bottoms on in a few weeks - I have been thinking that there isn't going to be much room for them... My top ones are feeling OK now, still hurts to eat and have to keep using the wax, especially at night, but otherwise they are good. I don't have much pain, a bit of sort of pinching sometimes, like slight toothache. How about you?

x Mel
Damon3 upper & lowers

ajhuggie

#15 Post by ajhuggie »

Hi Mel

Glad your teeth are not hurting too much. My wires have started to poke the sides of my mouth so i'm getting them trimmed tomorrow. BTW with your damon 3 do you have some wider pieces of wire in some spots - I have some around one of my front teeth. If so do you know why?