First time braces - age 36

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

marathon

First time braces - age 36

#1 Post by marathon »

Hello! I've been lurking as a non-member but decided to join because you seem like a friendly, active community. :D
As the subject says, I'm 36 and getting orthodontics for the first time TOMORROW. Clear brackets on top, metal braces on the bottom. I'm nervous but excited to finally be taking steps to fix my teeth!

Some background--I originally didn't think I'd ever get braces. My teeth have always been crooked since my adult teeth came in, but it wasn't so bad that anyone told me I NEED to get braces. But as the years passed, my teeth are getting noticeably more crooked. Some of my teeth are starting to twist behind other teeth in ways I know they didn't before. I know I'm not so young, but I'm not so old either, so it was starting to give me massive anxiety what my teeth might look like in another 20 years, when I'll surely have the regular anxiety of being an aging woman AND possibly worrying if my teeth are going to fall out or what. So I started to think about braces some years ago, but 2 things made me procrastinate:
1) Cost. Wow, not cheap!
2) Aesthetics of being an adult with braces...As an Asian American woman who looks younger, people already often don't take me seriously or just don't listen. I was wondering how much worse it would be with braces! But I'm finally reaching the point that people at least assume I'm in my mid/late 20s (People mistook me for a high schooler into my actual late 20s). And now...we're wearing masks!! :lol: So I thought this might be a good time to dive in. I still wanted to clear top ones for sure, but the idea of wearing masks when going out for a while alleviates a big part of my concern. Covid silver lining?

It's funny, when I was younger watching my peers get braces my number 1 concern was pain. I was so scared of it hurting! I think one advantage of being an adult is knowing that pain/discomfort is something I can deal with.

HappySmile123

Re: First time braces - age 36

#2 Post by HappySmile123 »

Hello, I just read your post and am wondering how your doing?
Age, 36, your so young. Lol I just had mine put on, age 58.
Your situation was similar to mine, crooked teeth my whole life, shifting more as I got older. I am looking at 2 to 2 1/2 years of braces. I was not a candidate for Invisalign. I have clear on top and metal on the bottom. I ended up with three springs and bite blocks and soon will get spacers. It’s an adjustment but honestly I feel so happy to be doing this I don’t mind the discomfort, the challenge of eating or constant cleaning and flossing. Hope it’s all going great for you!! Thanks for sharing your story..

marathon

Re: First time braces - age 36

#3 Post by marathon »

It's been going well so far! It's now been 5 months and while I still have a long way to go, I've already made quite a lot of progress, so that is really encouraging.

I don't have any springs or spacers or anything so far, though I did have to get extractions. That was probably the worst part! Discomfort has been pretty minimal.

I hope it goes well for you too!